K-6 & Ungraded
Public charter
Jersey City, NJ

Schomburg Cs 3

Posted March 30, 2012
As a parent as an over veiw .I believe that the school should have a systematic system.Teacher need understaning that inadeguate teaching is not allowed.A system put in place it would almost immediately recognize that teacher and eradicate.

Posted March 13, 2011
I'm a second grade parent. The school is going in the right direction in terms of behavior, test scores, diversity, etc. It is a process. However, compared to other school options in Jersey City, the small class size, and small school size at +/- 300, make it easier to address any concerns that may arise over the course of a school year. People will know your kids name. The admin and even security staff care about their jobs, and the teachers are invested. It's worth a visit for you to talk to the people there and tour the nice, clean school building, great computer lab, etc. My daughter loves her school and that's what matters to me.

Posted November 18, 2010
I have a child enrolled in this school and would not reccomment it to any parent. The bullying is out of control and so is the control of the students. The staff is very unorganized. It seems as though they are trying to get it together but I would recommend checking-in in a few years maybe things will be better. Ms. Sheffield is the BEST!!!!

Posted August 22, 2008
I enrolled my children in Schomburg in the Fall of 2007 because I felt that they needed a change of pace. My oldest son has special needs, and we went through a very stressful year while I was going throught process of having him evaluated for special education. Although Schomburg wasn't able to make the accomodations necessary for my son, they really bent over backwards to try to work with me and for that, I am ever grateful. Ms. Sheffield... we will never forget your love, compassion and empathy for our children. You keep doing what you are doing!

Posted March 07, 2007

Posted January 11, 2006
This school has been on a steady decline for the last 2 years, especially since Karen Jones (ex. principal) left. Teachers quit left and right, teachers unable to control students and the schools inability to effectively curb bullies and behaviour problems has forced me to find a new school for my sons next year.

Posted February 06, 2004
I would like to say that I am very pleased and honored that my children were excepted into Schomburg Charter School. I can relax knowing that the faculty of Schomburg take pride in helping our children succeed in life. There are many schools where teacher's have that 'Don't care attitude' because of the lack of involvement by the parents, but at Schomburg, it's been proven that there is still the lack of parental involvement, but the teacher's continue to do their job. I would like to commend the principal and the staff for a job well done. I live in Rahway and work in Jersey City, and without my children being accepted into the school, and the school having the aftercare program, I would have had to stop working full-time, and work part-time, in order to pick my children up from school on time. I would just like to conclude that because of their policy to accept students from other counties, I can continue to provide for my children properly. Once again, I take my hat off to Schomburg! Ms. Mack

Schomburg Cs 5

Posted January 05, 2004
This school offers so much to the children, without all the red tape that follows.... teachers, assistants and the prinicipal are keeping you updated on the children progress. They have an open door system here, where even the question that seems the silliest can be answered. This school follows your child even at home. This is just what i wanted in a school, for my daughter. I moved from the Bronx so my daugther can attend.

Schomburg Cs