Turning Point School

Private | PK-8 | 370 students

We are best known for focusing on the whole child.

Student diversity

Living in Culver City

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $711,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,520.

Sweep tile

Posted March 7, 2014

Turning Point is a great school experience, at least for our family. Our children are intellectually curious, academically confident, internally motivated, tenacious, and empathetic. They have been supported from day one at school. We could not be more proud of our children and their school since they spend more time at Turning Point than any other single place -- including home! Teachers and administration are student focused and a true cut above other educators we've observed. They are readily accessible should we have a question or issue to discuss. I know there's some dispute about cafeterias, but Turning Point's farm to table [aka Dirt to Dish] curriculum encourages students to make their own wise food choices as part of the health and fitness curriculum. They make their own lunches as part of our evening rituals - It's great family conversation time. For years, Turning Point was among the best kept secrets in town but with the expanded Campus and truly exceptional facility, its' reputation continues to grow.

Posted March 7, 2014

In my many years as a parent at Turning Point I have been consistently impressed by the cleanliness and safety of the facilities. I have found the staff and teachers both sympathetic and proactive when handling the issues of different personalities in the classroom. Group dynamics and social integration are so key to happy, intellectually stimulated learners that keeping a balance is a real challenge, I am sure. But it is always dealt with with dignity and patience. I have seen many times when the teacher and student are working fine to solve problems and then a parent steps in and creates chaos. Maybe this is out of parental anxiety (which believe me, I have in spades) or maybe its entitlement or I know not what... but the school and family have to work together, then most problems can be ameliorated. As far as requests for fund raising- well, that is just a reality of independent school education... If you want a high quality facility and high quality teachers, some fundraising is necessary. There are so many good schools, finding the right one is so important, and for us Turning Point is that right school.

Posted March 7, 2014

Turning Point School is the little known gem that is now not so little known. The faculty is young, enthusiastic, warm, nurturing, and so talented in getting the most out of the children. The facilities are state of the art (you need to see the huge new theater with high tech lighting and sound, the computer labs and science and art rooms in the new building). The administration is so professional and well organized; such a huge difference than the school we left! There we felt they just got by every day; at Turning Point there is a comprehensive education plan, and they execute it so well. I will remember my Prospective Parent Observation for the rest of my life; how clever, how inviting, how supportive and how positive the classroom experience was! My child has never wanted to stay home from school. They study tours are interesting and always fun (an included in tuition), and at least in the younger years some of the parents get to go along as chaperones. We have made great friends with lots of parents, and to me that's a great sign about the school community. And there are lots of opportunities for parents to volunteer. A great place to trust to care for your children.

Posted February 22, 2014

There is a magical place in education where the love of learning is as important as academic excellence. A place where collaboration, creativity, innovation, individualization, and citizenship are valued in ways that surpass the expectations of traditional academics; where children are given opportunities to grow, discover, and flex their academic, physical, social, and creative muscles. Turning Point is that place. New to the school, my 6th and 3rd graders are thriving in ways I'd only dreamed of. No longer weighed down by rote and repetitive academic "assignments", they have fully engaged in a curriculum valuing their individual contributions, curiosity, and passions (sports, performing arts, science, technology) as much as their ability to achieve academically. Turning Point's mission, child-centric philosophy, dedicated faculty, and its commitment to give children a window on the world that is expansive, hopeful, and full of possibility is top notch. The world-class facilities and world-class educators at Turning Point have created a dynamic learning community where the possibilities for 21st century education is not just a dream, but a promising reality.

Posted February 22, 2014

The preschool program at Turning Point School is horrible. The teachers are not warm and there is a lack of parental involvement. My child was very unhappy and didn't want to go to school. I since took my child out and went to a different preschool where my child is now very happy and excited. As a parent, I have been given better opportunities to be involved with my preschooler. There was a rigidness at Turning Point's preschool that was very cold and unwelcoming. In my educational opinion, this was not an environment for any preschooler to thrive. If you are thinking about sending your child here for preschool, please go else where!!!!!!

Posted November 15, 2013

Turning Point has positives and major negatives. Here are the positives: Very nice facility with a nice gym, brand new auditorium, and art and music rooms. Class sizes are small. Now here are the negatives: elementary Spanish is a joke and represents a big lost opportunity. The art program seems to operate in secret. The same is true about the technology program. In fact, I m not sure if there really is one. Who knows what the students are doing there? Seemingly every family is frustrated with the math program and by 5th grade, many of the kids are supplementing the math curriculum with private tutoring. There is also no cafeteria, no nurse and no psychologist. But the biggest negative at Turning Point is it s bullying problem. The school just seems inept in this regard. One bully can destroy the atmosphere for an entire grade, because his or her behavior will go unchecked. Pretty soon, other students will adopt his pattern of cruelty. Consequently, the attrition rate grows as victimized students find other schools to attend where there is priority placed on preventing bullying behavior

Posted September 10, 2013

This is my daughter's 5th year at Turning Point. She had been tested as "highly gifted" but when we looked at private schools, we realized she was not a good match for the ultra traditional gifted school in Los Angeles. Turning Point provides an excellent balance of supporting her where she is academically (and pushing her growing edge) but also providing a strong basis for the social skills that she needs as well. It balances structure with freedom. It is academically rigorous and developmental, and includes a strong physical component in addition to a teaching and learning garden. Thankfully, the parents can't bully the School Director into changing the curriculum or the philosophy of the school to meet the needs of a sub-group. Finally, I am an Ivy League grad, a former NCAA Division 1 athlete, and an academic scholar with two master's degrees, including one in education. I have zero concerns about this school where either academics or bullying is concerned. I am quite happy and grateful to write the check knowing how well my child is being cared for.

Posted August 13, 2013

My son couldn't be happier and that's what matters. He loves going to school and that's all I can ask for - he literally jumps out of the car every morning. I'm not sure when K-8 became college prep as some comments mention, I was under the impression that this was the time to instill a joy for learning vs. a drive towards Harvard.

Posted July 26, 2013

It is going to be our fifth year at Turning Point. We have been having a great experience! The school focus on developing all aspects of the child. I truly believe children have full potentials in their life regardless how successful in terms their academic success. My child has very strong reading, math and science skills. The school really does wonderful job to let students enjoy learning.

Posted February 15, 2013

Bottom line: the academics at Turning Point are not challenging. They're middle of the road, for kids who will go on to colleges like CSU Fullerton, the University of Redlands & the University of Bridgeport. It's a safe place for mediocre students. And that's not a bad thing if mediocre is the best your student can do. But your child is capable of more, then keep looking.

Posted January 10, 2013

The students who graduate from Turning Point are as well prepared as possible for high school, college and beyond. They leave the school not only with strong academic skills but also with the ability to analyze, conceptualize and take responsibility for their learning. Turning Point students both appreciate and engage in the arts and physical activities, and develop a strong sense of responsibility toward others as citizens of their communities and the world.

Posted January 8, 2013

My children love Turning Point School. They have made wonderful friends. (Me too, I count Turning Point parents among my very closest friends).The teachers are phenomenal.Even when there are teacher-student problems, we have found the faculty to be super responsive and engaged in solving the problem. While we love the low key social nature of the school, it is not laid back in terms of academics. The academics, most especially, the humanities/social studies programs have engaged my kids and caused them to want to learn more. What I am especially impressed with is that all of my kids are poised and confident public speakers. Part of the Turning Point curriculum from the very earliest levels, encourages and fosters each child's ability to present ideas to a group. Boy, if only I had learned that in school...

Posted December 26, 2012

Not a bad school & not a great one. This school is the functional equivalent of a very good public school in Vermont or Wisconsin. Which, actually, in Los Angeles, is not a bad thing at all. But if you're looking for an LA Dalton or St. Ann's or Brearley, look elsewhere. This school is safe and competent. But it is not academic. Just look at where the 8th grade graduates have gone on to college. No Ivy Leagues or even second tier schools like Williams or University of Michigan. They may be working on changing this but, really, it's about the level of academics offered at this school, and that's not changing. Of course, like all LA schools, their primary concern is fundraising. This is, of course, the primary concern of all private schools, regardless of coast. Thing is -- on the east coast (or really, even at elite private schools in places like Chicago & Minneapolis) they have Ivy League college admissions to back up their academics. Turning Point does not. And it doesn't seem to aspire to that, either. It's very L.A. in that way. If you're okay with that, and also okay with an administration that is unaccustomed to explaining itself to anyone, this is your school.

Posted June 6, 2012

Turning Point School meets the needs of your student wherever they are. My daughter is a high achieving math student who has been board in other math classes. We are thrilled to have her at Turning Point where the teachers go out of their way to make sure she continues to be challenged. She has gone from hating math class to loving it. We are also thrilled that she is becoming so much more passionate about history. The school believes that group work and living history is the best way for the kids to learn. Although we were somewhat skeptical at first it is clear that they were right. Our daughter seems to remember everything. The school focuses more on the events and their meaning rather than names and dates. We are very impressed!

Posted June 4, 2012

My son has had three great years at Turning Point, and I am looking forward to the years ahead! There are so many opportunities for growth and enrichment with this tremendous program. He has wonderful relationships with the teachers and the community is one that I feel lucky to have helping me raise him as a respectful and responsible person. It is a nurturing place that takes its mission to heart. Just walking in the halls, you can FEEL the goodness. Happy kids = Happy parents!

Posted June 2, 2012

I am a Turning Point School lifer who is well-prepared for the academic rigor at Phillips Exeter Academy, my soon-to-be new home. I have learned at Turning Point that I thoroughly enjoy learning itself. At Exeter, I will continue to enjoy learning by working hard, pursuing different things and, at the same time, I will have some fun in my time there. I am confident in my good character, heart, values, decision making, and conscience. Even in my young age, after 14 years of life and 10 years at Turning Point School, I feel I have picked up very many valuable lessons and skills. I still have countless things to accomplish, but even so, I feel that my time at Turning Point has been a spectacular start to my life. I have learned that it is important to really know your teachers and make sure they know you (close relationships with teachers are important) and that loyalty is the most important part of friendship. I thank everyone at Turning Point School for helping me get into my new home and always being a place that was a comfortable sanctuary of a school. I have been well prepared. And, I have had a spectacular experience at Turning Point that I will never forget.

Posted May 29, 2012

An average school for average students. If your child has above average academic ability, then this school is not for you--the curriculum and the school philosophy is designed to be non-challenging academically. The smarter the student, the worse the disconnect. The administration does not view their job as "college prep" and have admitted such in a school meeting. Bullying is a perennial problem in the grade school, and the school does little to alleviate it. Many families leave the school because their child is getting bullied. The junior high school (6th through 8th) is much more responsive and proactive. Many of the teachers are quite good, but they are limited by the chosen curriculum. The facilities are very nice, with a two-building campus, nice library for the grade school (not as good for the junior high), great specialist classrooms, and a lovely theater. Parental involvement in the classroom is actively discouraged. Parents are limited to field trips, snacks, and fundraising. The school's wants parents to drop their kids off and write the check, nothing more.

Posted November 11, 2011

This is our fourth year at Turning Point and we feel that choosing Turning Point was one of the best decisions we ever made. The teachers, the curriculum, the academics, the sports/art/music/spanish programs, parental involvement, the school ethos, the culture as well as the environment are beyond comparison the absolute best in Los Angeles. An outstanding school.

Posted June 30, 2011

My daughter just finished her first year in the primary program. We chose the school for the strong faculty and the nurturing environment that they provide. Found the entire community very welcoming and supportive. Great program and highly recommended.

Posted September 30, 2010

I am sorry to read that the parent who gave this school 2 stars had a bad experience. Considering all of the other reviews seems to have the same experience as myself, perhaps this just wasn't a good match for that family. The staff, teachers, and students at Turning Point are awesome! The fact that the school not only emphasize strong academics but also how to prepare their students to take on the challenges of the world beyond their school years, is something that is very rarely found at any school I have researched or been a part of. The love, support and caring found at this school is unbelieveable. I'm happy to be a part the Turning Point family.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • L.A. Winner of Green Cup Challenge (2009)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Deborah Richman
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMS
Fax number
  • (310) 841-5420

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Entry Level is at 3 years

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Finest Independent Upper Schools in Los Angeles