Baton Rouge International School

Private | K-12 | 202 students

Living in Baton Rouge

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $230,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Sweep tile

Posted December 8, 2013

After reading all of the reviews, I feel.as though a current teacher should respond. BRIS is a small, world-class school. The focus is on learning and there is not a single staff member that feels or acts any differently. I am not a new teacher so I have witnessed some growing pains regarding teacher turnover (common at any Louisiana school) and hectic student schedules but at the end of the day the students are learning and excelling. Extracurricular activities are being implemented (soccer, Jr. Beta, Spanish Club, Library Club, Girls on the Run, Yoga Club) and when BRIS students compete against other schools, they are winning. Yes, the tuition is not cheap and the school requires parental involvement but you are supposed to be involved in your child`s education. I invite you to tour the school and see for yourself what BRIS is all about.

Posted August 10, 2013

PART 2---Yes, the school is comprised of t-buildings. BRIS is only about 12 years old and last I checked bricks and mortar do not provide an education. Teachers do. BRIS teachers are some of the most caring and motivating teachers. My children have loved every one of them. If you are more concerned about the buildings and facilities then BRIS is not for you. All schools have pros and cons you need to decide what is important for you and your child. If you are the least bit interested in BRIS I would set up a visit to see and hear it for yourself. Not every school is a good fit for every child and family. BRIS has definitely been a great fit for ours!

Posted August 7, 2013

Make sure to fully vet this school. Tuition keeps rising and you still have fundraising to do or you have to pay it. No set curriculum from year to year.

Posted August 2, 2013

I feel very fortunate to have found the Baton Rouge International School. My son has attended for three years now and is picking up a lot of language, as well as math and other skills. My daughter started two years ago and she is thriving as well. This is really a high quality, world-class education. Parents are very diverse and interesting and teachers really care about kids. I would recommend to any of my friends.

Posted July 9, 2013

Don't walk ,run away Waist of money and time for your kids and yourself. Teachers probably with fonny papers and turnaround quite fast. Nobody wants to be there too long-teachers or parents. Teachers brain wash students to keep them there. Bottom line is: awful school, bad teachers and worse ever principal. Don't waist the time people

Posted April 18, 2013

Part 3: Also, yes, they are a lot of books and notebooks to carry, but all kids have a rolling backpacks. This is not a problem. You have to have all those books to learn all these languages etc. And yes, teachers are certified, they are real teachers, from all over. Like in any other school, you'll find teachers that you'll love and some that you don't appreciate as much. This is normal. I encourage any parent in BR searching for a great school for the child to come for a tour, to meet the principal, the staff, the students. To meet current parents and ask questions. But remember, people create opinions based on their personal experiences, so come see for yourself! Last, this is not a free school, you have to pay for it and give some of your time (on occasions that you choose), but compared to what your child will get from it, it's nothing! As a teacher now, I've taught at BRIS for the past 10 years and dream of teaching here until my last breath. This is the most rewarding job I've ever had. This is the opportunity of a lifetime. It's hard, it's demanding, it can be frustrating but, trust me, going to work in a happy place everyday makes life so much better!

Posted January 10, 2013

As a continuation of my review, to the parents who complain about lack of sports and other activities, is the sports program of a school really what you should base your opionion on your childs education? Did you ever volunteer to be a coach? Who do you expect to coach your child? The nature of private education system in baton rouge means there are a huge number of private sports leagues and there are plenty of opportunities for sports in the area. You don't like the food, then send a lunch with your child. This is not a publc school with a large carfeteria and cafeteria staff to prepare meals on site, meals must be brought in by a liscened caterer, it is your choice to choose hot luch plan or send lunch. I know plenty of people at other schools whose kids bring their lunch too. You complain about the English instruction, but have you ever fully researched fully foreing language immersion education and what that means? All I can say is never choose a school without fully understanding all aspectes of the school and take the time to fully inform yourself on the curriculum and accreditation of the school as well as educational philosophy!

Posted January 8, 2013

I am a Baton Rouge native with a background in language arts education and write from Japan, where I am a long-term resident. I am returning to the BR in the coming months and am considering employment options, one of them the Baton Rouge International School. I am a bit puzzled by the widely divergent reviews of the school; there are no two or three star ratings. Is the school as outstanding as its most enthusiastic supporters assert? Or, is the school as problem-ridden as its detractors maintain?

Posted October 18, 2012

Too busy on other languages and not on English. Does not offer sports or other activites for kids like other schools. Kids have to carry heavy books around instead of them building lockers. My child refuses to eat at school because the food brought in is so bad.

Posted August 6, 2012

This school is a joke. Parents have to do more at this school than teachers and staff. The constant "mandatory" fundraising and volunteering is ridiculous for the amount of money spent here on tuition and if you don't you are charged extra, oh yeah and there is no school lunch you pay dearly for an unhealthy catering service. This school lacks professionalism and organization. They will build anything there but will call every parent to ask for even more money to help pay for it. My child is learning all languages but can't spell the most simple English word. They will always give good grades and say your child is doing well to keep your money coming. So many promises but on your dime. I got where I hated to have to take my child to school. I have talked to so many other parents at field trips that are unenrolling their children. This school lacks in so many ways you are depriving your child. Most of these so called "parent reviews" are from staff and teachers. The e-mails that are sent to parents are so numerous I had to create a separate e-mail address for all of the repetitious "come do this, come help with that" e-mails. Sorry for the truth. 1 good thing=nice principal.

Posted August 6, 2012

I am so glad to see the post below. Finally someone speaking the truth behind the supposed "great school". Without going into great detail I agree with everything he/she said. I am one of those unimpressed parents who took my child out of this school. My child is now thriving in a public school and we couldn't be happier. What a waist of money! To all of the blinded parents there.... wait for it, you will figure it out soon enough.

Posted April 25, 2012

BRIS is an INTERNATIONAL BACCUALAURE PROGRAMME (ibo.org) accredited school. The students test several grades above level. IOWA test scores are posted in the lobby! The principal and teachers have an open door policy and respond quickly to concerns. Our second grader and Pre-K children are flourishing in math, science and music, in addition to fluency in English, French, Spanish, and Mandarin Chinese. There is homework and there are fundraising obligations. All are manageable. You are getting a $25,000 a year education for about $8,000. A small price to pay to give your children the world. This is an education for both students and parents.

Posted April 25, 2012

Sending our child to BRIS was one of the best decisions we made. The school offers outstanding curriculum in 4 languages, the teachers are always supportive and go out of the way to help the children learn and succeed. My child looks forward to going to school every day and performs two years above the grade level.

Posted April 19, 2012

EXCELLENT SCHOOL! I am a teacher at Baton Rouge International School and I love it! All teachers must be certified, unlike some private schools. The school has a wonderful positive atmosphere. The teachers are welcoming and always happy. The students are brilliant due to their one on one time with teachers.My biggest class has only 17 students. The students test scores on standardized testing are some of the highest in country. If foreign language is important to you and you want your child to be in an atmosphere where they can be an individual without being teased or bullied, this is the school for you. At BRIS the teachers and staff make sure students get an individualized education. Hands down BRIS is the best private school in the Baton Rouge area.

Posted March 24, 2012

I am a parent at the Baton Rouge International School since 2008. My daughter loves the school and her teachers. The nurturing, loving and safe environments are beyond our expectations. Our family is treated with respect and dignity on a daily basis. We consider ourselves partners in the educational process of our little angel because it is our responsibility to do so. There is a mutual feeling of trust and respect between parents and teachers and it helped build a lasting positive relationship between us. I honestly think there is nothing comparable to this education in Baton Rouge and beyond.

Posted January 30, 2012

BRIS promises, promises, yet never delivers, no matter how long you wait. The teachers do not communicate well with one another or with the parents, so my child frequently ended up with multiple tests on one day, in addition to the already overbearing homework load. Gripes or concerns are met with scoffs and uncaring attitudes. We gave the school lots of money and many years, and all what we have in return is a child who doesn't believe in himself and a whole lot of excuses from the staff. I actually feel guilty for bringing my child there and keeping him there for so long -- and we paid dearly for this luxury! Thousands and thousands!

Posted September 30, 2011

EXCELLENT SCHOOL! I wanted to start off with how I really feel. If you looking at private schools and you believe that languages other than English is important then you have come to the correct school. The school staff are not "certified" in languages they lived the languages from around the world and bring their culture to Baton Rouge. I have yet come across a certification for that. EVERYONE at this school are TOTALLY dedicated to teaching and caring about the students, each and every one. I have one child at this wonderful school and could not be happier. This school is for people that want their child to be a future leader. This requires teaching independence early and coaching excellence, in a supportive environment. Take a look at the Iowa test scores. WOW! The head of school is world class! If you are reading this and truly care about your child's education then visit this school, talk to the parents that have children here. (Parents beware that this school has culture and is very diverse, just like the real world.) Kris Hutchinson

Posted September 13, 2011

I was shocked when I found a little girl, maybe 2 years old, who left school via an unlocked gate. She was in the area where cars pull up for drop off (by the gate farther from front door, at end of playground). I was even more shocked when I brought her inside and they didn't even know she was missing. I was so scared as she could have been abducted by a pedophile, hit by a car or wandered even further and drowned. When I then told my girl's teachers what happened I was treated in a hostile manner. I was already unhappy as I heard my girl's teacher yell at the kids before and my girl would always complain about being beat up on by a boy at school. This time I really saw not only how they neglected a child but didn't seem to care about safety at all. I had to pull my girl out of ELIC immediately as I lost faith in the school and they yelled at me and treated my like garbage. My girl is so happy at her new school and is not beat up on. She says that her new teachers are happy and don't yell like at BRIS. And I drop her off knowing she won't leave school on her own because her teachers actually care and watch the children. Shame on BRIS.

Posted September 11, 2011

have known about this school for years. Early on the parents ran a once a week math club for the 5 - 8 year old kids to play a math ed game my company makes. Their 5 year old students could work with negative numbers, variable, solve word problems and construct and evaluate (simple) algebraic expressions. My 4 year old grandson has been a student there since he was 6 months old and is taught in Spanish and French on alternate days. He is not yet in their Mandarin class. The recent studies of the effect of being multilingual on learning, cognition and long-term memory predict a lifelong befit for him. No amount of technology can provide this. I have visited the school several times and have never seen the teachers be anything but good-humored, concerned and caring. Carter Waid, PhD

Posted August 25, 2011

I am shocked at some of the negative reviews on this board and cannot believe they come from parents of BRIS students! The faculty, staff, and fellow parents are always warm and welcoming. There are numerous sports programs for the students. Most importantly of all, BRIS's foreign language immersion program is the only one offered between Houston and Atlanta. The education at BRIS is superior to most other private options in the area. As the school continues to grow and develop, I have no doubt it will be THE best and most coveted acedemic program in Baton Rouge. To be fair, the facilities do leave much to be desired...but, this school is only 11 years old and is already embarking on a master expansion plan to bring the campus up to date. Bottom line, I wouldn't consider sending my elementary-aged son to another school.

Asian 4% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 4% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab