Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 05, 2015
The teachers at this school are highly qualified and nurturing. Some people may think the expectations for teachers at this school are high. We are expected to be involved in some occasional afterschool activities and we are expected to have good attendance unless an emergency arises. As a teacher, this has been the best job I have ever had. I am provided with every resource and opportunity for training I could ever need and more. I want to attend every activity possible because I love my school. I want to come to school each day because it is what my students deserve. The opportunities for us to improve as teachers will improve even more with time as we continue growing.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 05, 2015
There is very little homework given in the lower grades and it increases with each grade level. This is supported by all of the research that I have read. I love that MID makes decision based on educational research! My children have time to enjoy extra-curricular activities. When their teachers and I feel like they need extra help in specific areas, we have time to work at home on those areas, too.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 05, 2015
MID is the first school that I have been a part of where students do not have an "I don't care" attitude. Students of all ages care about learning and want to be the best people that they can be. It is amazing to be a part of!

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted August 05, 2015
At MID, students are taught to what respect really means. Students show respect for God, each other, the whole community, and themselves.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 05, 2015
MID is a family. The small atmosphere allows families to get to know each other. Students feel safe and comfortable and they are able to learn more than just school "subjects". They learn how God wants us to care for others.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 05, 2015
MID teaches a well-developed Bible curriculum in all grade levels and students and faculty are able to give character awards based on positive actions.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 26, 2015
As a teacher at MID I've seen many instances of our faculty helping students develop persistence and determination. In one case, a student would cry every time that he didn't do something perfectly. He would get very upset and beat himself up about it. His teachers worked to help him understand that no one is perfect, and that we can learn from the mistakes that we make. By the end of this school year, the same child still performs at a very high level, but when he makes a mistake he doesn't cry or get upset; he tries to find a way to learn from it.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 26, 2015
At MID the students have the opportunity to participate in community outreach, especially in the middle and high school grades. The older students have gone to serve at homeless shelters, meal programs, and nursing homes, and the younger ones have participated in food drives, water drives, and pajama drives. During Chapel the kids have learned about mission trips and the needs of people in other countries, and spent time praying for them.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted June 26, 2015
The teachers at MID are wonderful! They are kind and caring with the students, but also have high expectations for them. My son achieved the A honor roll for the first time this year, and scored well above his grade level in most areas of the end of grade testing. I'm very happy with the teachers!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 26, 2015
I love that MID doesn't give a lot of homework! The research says that homework doesn't benefit students until they're in the upper high school grades. My child gets enough homework to give him practice with spelling words and math problems, etc. but isn't loaded down and spending hours every night on homework. This lets him be involved in other activities (like sports, youth group, etc) that contribute to his being a well-rounded person.

8101 Fallsdale Dr, Charlotte, NC  28214
Last modified Mountain Island Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Mountain Island Day School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top