Posted August 26, 2014
Mountain Island Day has spared no expense when it comes to investing in curriculum-Envision/Saxon/Mountain Math, Core Knowledge Social Studies and Science, DiscipleLand Bible, and Scott Foresman/Saxon/Zaner-Bloser Language Arts are just a few of the programs that the teachers are provided with. Differentiation is not just a theory at MID, it is a daily practice. My children are taught at their level EVERY day ALL day. Among the many things that my family loves at our school, two things stand out: 1)Small class sizes allow students to receive more attention academically and emotionally. 2)It is very obvious that our teachers LOVE what they do. They spend their time teaching, not completing paperwork or testing. For teachers who truly love spending the school day interacting with their students, MID is the perfect place to be! For students who truly love spending the school day learning, MID is the perfect place to be!
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 14, 2014
When it sounds too good to be true, it is. This is not a school founded on Christian values, more accurately it's founded on the need to control. They don't follow any sort of curriculum or plan, they know how to tell people what they want to hear. Their claims of higher education and rigorous curriculum are inaccurate. They lose teachers and families as quickly as they get them. Just be weary, because this is your child's future and they won't have a long, prosperous one here. Even the 5 star reviews are fabricated from employees forced to monitor this site. I don't understand why great schools allows it, but I'm sure they have claimed bad reviews are the result of some bitter parent or teacher, instead of just someone trying to express concern for other peoples children. North Carolina should have stronger regulations in place for private schools so that we can have peace of mind that our children our getting the education they deserve.
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 19, 2014
I have aspired for many years, to be able to work for an institution in which I can freely and fully share not only my love and heart for ALL students, but where I can discuss education and academics from a Christian perspective. As a teacher for many years in the public school system, I always felt I was leaving out a tremendous portion of meeting the needs of the 'total child'...It is wonderful to be able to offer counseling and support to our students within the added domain of meeting the spiritual needs, as we delve into subject matter or help students resolve conflict or plan for the future. As a traveling, itinerant professional, during my previous tenure with the public school system, I have seen all varieties of schools, administrators, teachers and staff. Some were better than others and some made me yearn for 'more' for myself and the students within; however, there is one truth that remained in every school in which I offered my services: there is NO perfect school. But, I must say, M.I.D. comes as close as any place in which I have had the pleasure to work. We are blessed to have this school in our area!

Posted May 07, 2014
As a teacher and parent at MIDS, I feel that we ve found the perfect fit for our family. MID uses a well respected curriculum, including Scott Foresman Reading Street, Envision Math, Core Knowledge Science and Social Studies, Discipleland Bible Curriculum, Lucy Calkins writing components, as well as enrichment programs such as Mountain Math and Mountain Language. In addition we have knowledgeable teachers who bring their experience and creativity into the classroom to enhance the curriculum. We have a wonderful EC specialist on staff, and a teaching assistant who work with students one-on-one, or in small groups, on remediation and enrichment. Our small class sizes allow teachers to really know each child and their strengths, struggles, and interests. We also have an administration that makes every decision based on what will be best for the children whose education has been entrusted to them. If you re looking for a small school with a Christian foundation, MID is a great choice we couldn't be happier!

Posted May 07, 2014
My son was struggling at our local public middle school (a good school with good teachers) until I moved him to MIDS. He s quiet and doesn t always ask for help, so he tends to get overlooked in a large class. At MID he s in small classes, so he's not getting lost in the shuffle with almost 30 kids in his class. We have great communication with his teachers, and always get a response to phone calls or emails. His grades have improved and he's made many new friends. He feels good about the middle school getting to go out into the community to serve others (this school doesn't just teach from a Christian perspective, they live it out). He's also involved in the sports program, and while his team doesn't always win, he s learned great lessons about what it means to be part of a team, and good sportsmanship. I m also very excited about the plans to build a new school building, which will only add to an already wonderful school. We're very happy at MIDS!

Posted May 05, 2014
MID is an amazing and affordable alternative to public school! Our children look forward to going to school each day and are learning much more than the state End Of Grade tests require. The school is small enough to create a nurturing, loving atmosphere for all ages, but large enough to offer many sports, extra-curricular, and educational opportunities. We look forward to what the future will hold! Go Mariners!!!

Posted April 28, 2014
Incredibly disappointed in many areas. They don't follow a curriculum, there are no assistant teachers, there is very limited help and support for kids with special needs (and there are a LOT of them!), and the communication is awful! I have never seen anything go home from administration that wasn't full of typos, misspelled words, and bad grammar. My son will be enrolled in another school next year. I pray he isn't too far behind because of his experience at MIDS. I do not believe they will become accredited, especially in the time frame they have advertised to parents.

Posted March 10, 2014
MID makes every child feel welcome! Every teacher and staff member, including administration, is to approach and talk to. This is one school where you don't have to feel like your bank account must meet a minimum requirement to to show your worth as a person.

Posted February 18, 2014
Small classes, caring and attentive teachers, Christian values and a home like atmosphere is what drew us to Mountain Island Day. Our family has found what we couldn't get at public school. Foreign language in elementary, plenty of recess time, gardening and after school clubs are just a few of the things that set Mountain Island Day apart from the rest!

Posted February 18, 2014
The administration never speaks unless they need something from you and it appears that they mistreat their staff, which tells you something about the high turnover rate! There is a lack in communication and lack of services. Seems like a big show with no substance. I had my child tested for next year and they are way behind. I am having to pay a private tutor to catch them up. Please do not send your child here! Go to a public school where you don't pay and your child will get the education they deserve! Will not be back next year!

Mountain Island Day School
8101 Fallsdale Dr, Charlotte, NC  28214
Last modified Mountain Island Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Mountain Island Day School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews.