PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)

Mountain Island Day school is a wonderful school. My child has attended the school for five years now. We are truly blessed to have found this school. I am somewhat a worry wart mom, but here, I can drop my child at school with absolutely no worries which makes my day a lot less stressful. The owners are really great.I really enjoy the rise n shine breakfast they do to interact with parents. My child is doing so well at this school they truly make sure each individual child needs are met.

My children have been at Mountain Island Day since they opened and we have had a great experience. I understand that different families at the same school could have very different experiences so I wanted to share mine. I have two children in different grade levels my 4th grader reads on an 8th grade level and my 7th grader reads on a 11th grade level. Their math scores are just as high. When I speak to their peer's families they are equally as pleased with their children academics. My children are in classes that are a true indication of what Mountain Island Day is producing. My 7th grader is part of the first Kindergarten class. It is fair to say there has been some turn over but it really has not effected my family or my children. I believe people mistake adding staff from year to year based on growth with turn over because they see a new face. I have seen years where the school has added as many as 4 new staff due to growth and if they had a teacher not return it would add to the number of new faces. I have observed less and less turn over as the years have progressed and as programs estabilished. Any staff turnover I have witnessed would typically involve a staff that I was questioning. We have personally had a great experience. I see Tom and Tammy as very responsive to their staff needs and have spent time away from school with them and their staff. They appear to have a good relationship with them. I have served on the PTO, I volunteer, and I take time to get to know the people who are caring for my children. In my experience Tom and Tammy, who are board members, have expectations for the staff, students, and families of MID. They are very busy and more so as the school has grown. I have always seen them drop everything to handle a students need or to meet with a parent that had an urgent need. I want expectations for my children and the staff members that work with my children. I appreciate that when I drop my children off and when I pick my children up that Tom and Tammy's cars are always in the parking lot. I appreciate that Tom, Tammy, and the staff know my child's name and that the kids in the school run to hug them. I can accept that no one school is perfect but speaking as a long term family of the school the plus' far outweigh any negatives. MID has been a blessing to our family and to my children.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Tom and Tammy shy away from actually disciplining or expelling problem students.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Seems to be no real focus or attention to day to day issues. Rules are often never enforced or enforced arbitrarily. Communication is a weakness.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

When they are allowed to teach and not pulled out of the classroom to perform administrative work.

We've had our child at MID for a few years. The owners hire good instructors but then hamstring the teachers with lack of leadership, constantly contradicting their own rules, and lack of communication. Teachers are constantly being pulled out of the classroom to perform administrative tasks. Safety and discipline seem to be a problem. They have admitted several students that are disruptive and disrespectful to the teachers and other students. They introduced a tablet based curriculum at the beginning of the year and it was after Thanksgiving before iPads were finally issued to all the students. As I said before, Tom and Tammy do hire good teachers but turnover is a real issue. They seem to have a hard time retaining the best teachers. I don't feel like they are focusing on the day to day issues within the school and are only concentrating on their "vision" of what the school could be. I have serious doubts that any student that eventually graduates in 2018 will be equipped to attend a 4 year university or college.

We have been at MID for two years now and we love it. I have found no issues with the school or teachers. My kids love their teachers and always tell me about their day. They enjoy going to school and my youngest loves to do her "homework" as she calls it. My kids are happy at this school and are excited to go each day. I like the smaller class sizes and the communication I get from the teacher. It is easy to stay connected with the teachers.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

I am a parent with a special needs student at MID. Not only does the EC staff test, assess, and develop IEP's/504 Plans and Behavior Plans, they treat my child (and ALL students!) with love and respect and encourage them to reach their greatest potential, by way of THEIR personal learning style! My daughter loves and respects her upper school EC Teachers greatly and has been given the courage to get out of her comfort zone, and to realize she IS smart and capable. Her reading and writing skills have improved with each year! We are so thankful fir the EC Staff at MID!

I not only have a student at this school but also work at the school. I worked closely with the grade level that the previous parents (negative) post was in. The child was loved dearly and treated with nothing but love and respect. Speaking from the perspective of a staff member at the school I am not mistreated by my employer and the school working environment is far from a toxic. I love where I work and the kids that I work with. The references made that the student did not receive services are completely unfounded and untrue because the student mentioned was provided more services than they qualified for. It is unfortunate that their experience at Mountain Island Day was less than positive for their family but there are many families including myself that are extremely happy with the school administration and school staff. It disheartens me to see such negative post about a school that I not only love to work at but also love that my child attends. My child as well as others are loved, challenged academically, and provided many extracurricular opportunities. A loving environment where students are challenged always creates an environment conducive to learning. My experience as both a staff member and a parent has been very positive.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

Mountain Island Day manages the way students treat one another daily. The environment is smaller than other local charter and public schools so it is easier to address concerns quickly before they get out of hand.

Last modified Mountain Island Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8