PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Tom and Tammy shy away from actually disciplining or expelling problem students.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Seems to be no real focus or attention to day to day issues. Rules are often never enforced or enforced arbitrarily. Communication is a weakness.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

When they are allowed to teach and not pulled out of the classroom to perform administrative work.

We've had our child at MID for a few years. The owners hire good instructors but then hamstring the teachers with lack of leadership, constantly contradicting their own rules, and lack of communication. Teachers are constantly being pulled out of the classroom to perform administrative tasks. Safety and discipline seem to be a problem. They have admitted several students that are disruptive and disrespectful to the teachers and other students. They introduced a tablet based curriculum at the beginning of the year and it was after Thanksgiving before iPads were finally issued to all the students. As I said before, Tom and Tammy do hire good teachers but turnover is a real issue. They seem to have a hard time retaining the best teachers. I don't feel like they are focusing on the day to day issues within the school and are only concentrating on their "vision" of what the school could be. I have serious doubts that any student that eventually graduates in 2018 will be equipped to attend a 4 year university or college.

We have been at MID for two years now and we love it. I have found no issues with the school or teachers. My kids love their teachers and always tell me about their day. They enjoy going to school and my youngest loves to do her "homework" as she calls it. My kids are happy at this school and are excited to go each day. I like the smaller class sizes and the communication I get from the teacher. It is easy to stay connected with the teachers.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

I am a parent with a special needs student at MID. Not only does the EC staff test, assess, and develop IEP's/504 Plans and Behavior Plans, they treat my child (and ALL students!) with love and respect and encourage them to reach their greatest potential, by way of THEIR personal learning style! My daughter loves and respects her upper school EC Teachers greatly and has been given the courage to get out of her comfort zone, and to realize she IS smart and capable. Her reading and writing skills have improved with each year! We are so thankful fir the EC Staff at MID!

I not only have a student at this school but also work at the school. I worked closely with the grade level that the previous parents (negative) post was in. The child was loved dearly and treated with nothing but love and respect. Speaking from the perspective of a staff member at the school I am not mistreated by my employer and the school working environment is far from a toxic. I love where I work and the kids that I work with. The references made that the student did not receive services are completely unfounded and untrue because the student mentioned was provided more services than they qualified for. It is unfortunate that their experience at Mountain Island Day was less than positive for their family but there are many families including myself that are extremely happy with the school administration and school staff. It disheartens me to see such negative post about a school that I not only love to work at but also love that my child attends. My child as well as others are loved, challenged academically, and provided many extracurricular opportunities. A loving environment where students are challenged always creates an environment conducive to learning. My experience as both a staff member and a parent has been very positive.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

Mountain Island Day manages the way students treat one another daily. The environment is smaller than other local charter and public schools so it is easier to address concerns quickly before they get out of hand.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Mountain Island Day has a homework contract that is to be completed weekly for the elementary age students and I have found it to me very manageable and love the flexibility it allows our family. The middle school and high school students are no longer given homework contracts but are assigned a manageable amount of homework based on their grade level.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The school is in it's 8th year and it has grown from 42 student to over 230 students. The school received accreditation and will graduate its first senior class in 2018. The school has recently moved to a beautifully remodeled campus. The school has an amazing administrative team, that include the owners, who lead from the vantage point of their varied professional experience and expertise. The success of this school is representative of it leadership and all that it has accomplished in 8 short years.

Last modified Mountain Island Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8