977 students|Allen Academy

Bad
Good

I can truly say that I HATE this school. I have 2 kids enrolled and I wish I never took them from their other school. I dont like the fact that my 4th grader has had a substitute since about 6 wks into the school yr. My 2nd grader has had 3 teachers since the beginning of school and I really think he's bout to be on his 4th. They dont let you pop in on your children for "safety" concerns (HATE THAT). I'm just very disappointed in the school, I feel like they have let me and my children down. Looking for another school to put them in for 2nd semester. Also when I called they said they didnt have parent teacher conference because the parents never show up then 2 wks later I get a call saying there is conference.......yeah again dont like this school

My grandson currently attends Allen academy but will be a student at a much better school next semester. Had I read the comments on this site before now he would have not been subjected to the inept teachers and administrators. I submitted a volunteer request form thebginning of this schoolyear. Still waiting on a response. I wanted my grandson to participate in the DAPCEP Program, asked for a letter from Allen Academy. You would think I was asking for money. The academic advisor did not know what the program was and walked away from me when I explained it to him. Instead of teaching children and caring for the little minds in their care, they choose to tell children to take a nap cause they(teacher) is tired. Shameful!!! And shame on the school. If I could bus ALL the students whose parents know like I know... I would. But for now I will be removing my grandson from that toxic environment.

I have to admit that this school has gone down over the last few years and I would not recommend it. I am Allen Alumni I do not recommend anyone's child to attend this school as it did not prepare me and many others for college. Although there are some very intelligent teachers there, the administration often hinders the full potential of teacher-student interaction and educational development due to awkward prioritizing. They can't keep any staff, they get rid of the great ones, the ones that pushed us or that we have developed relationships with and keep the bad ones, the ones in which they are friends/ family. They make sure we get accepted into colleges but they did not make sure we were prepared, and almost all of us are struggling. They need to bring the old Allen back!

Allen Academy is mediocre on its best day. Though the building is appealing, the students' academic performance is not. The students fail to meet state standards each year when administered the MEAP and MME, and the Michigan Department of Education has given Allen Academy a composite grade of "D-Alert". The academy misrepresents itself by listing, on this site, languages and extracurricular activities that it doesn't offer. There is no happy medium regarding discipline, either. Allen Academy's fix to any undesirable behavior is to suspend the child. The students receive lengthy suspensions for deeds that don't necessarily warrant suspensions...spending too much time out of school, which, in part, contributes to their low academic performance. The academy does a poor job communicating information that is relevant to the students, and trying to reach an administrator is like trying to find a needle in a haystack...virtually impossible! The principal is haughty...too good to sit and talk with parents regarding their children. Allen Academy's climate and poor academic performance is a direct reflection of its leadership.

Allen Academy is a school that offers a safe interior enviornment for their students. The cirriculum offered seems to be the state standard required cirriculum, however the students struggle with the state standardized test that is administer every year. In a closer observation they seem to lack the appropriate mentality to deal with their students. There seems to be no education of right or wrong given within the school and the penalty for any situation regardless of degree is suspension. It is impossible to gain an appointment with the administration and teachers regarding students. They are terrible at returning parent phone calls and there is rarely ever an opportunity for parent, teacher, administrator face to face interaction. At best the school only has the enrollment levels they have because there are limited educational institutions within the immediate area. There needs to be major restaffing starting with the school leader. This may help in improving Allen Academy's grade issued by the state which is currently a D.

Allen Academy has very little extracurricular activities for students, and the classes are not challenging. There is virtually no homework given, no language courses for Hi-School students, and pertinent info is passed to parents who are in a 'school click'. There is no music courses for middle/high school and the school needs Robert Bobb to turn it around.

I'm currently enrolled in Allen, im in the 8th grade. The teachers there really help me, with the exception of a couple. But overall its a really good school and they have a tremendous athletic program.One teacher their i have to acknowlege is Ms. Tesch she's really helpful and she helped me bring my grade up from a D to an A in math.

Last modified Allen Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.