Bradenton Charter School

Charter | 3-8 | 99 students

Posted March 9, 2013

I'm a student here at Bradenton Charter School. I got to say that before this school. I really didn't care about my future. All I cared about was when the next hit game was going to come out. I barely went to school, didn't try as much, and didn't care. Then at 7th grade I just stopped going to school completely . Didn't do FCAT, nor any work but, somehow I was passed. I'm not sure how, but I was shocked. Then I started to think about my future. What am I going to do all my life. I knew I had to go back to school. Because my parents dropped out of high school to take care of my older brother, and I didn't want to live like this. I wanted to achieve something. My recent school I didn't like. Lots of bullying and ignorant kids. So I searched for a smaller school. I came across this one. I'm not sure about you guys and saying that there were bullying but, the first day I went there. There were kind kids around me. Some of them were a bit immature but it was ok. I didn't know anything. Just some multiplication and what not. No science either. My mom said the teachers would help, and let me tell yah. I learned so much more. Getting 5's in every writing prompt. And getting a's and b's

Posted November 7, 2012

I relocated to Florida recently and wanted to enroll my children in a Charter school due to the wonderful experience I had with my children's previous Charter school in a different state. I met with the principal of Bradenton Charter prior to me enrolling my children there and notified the principal of my child's educational needs(my child is special needs with a learning disability). However he informed me that the school would be able to accomadate my child's needs and he also explained to me how my child's educational needs would be met. I also read the review for the school on this website which wasn't really bad. Long story short 2mos into my children attending the school it was a disaster. My child was bullied daily and his educational needs weren't being met. He went from making B's and C's to straight F's. I contacted the principal on several occasions about the bullying and grades but he didn't seem to take it seriously. The bullies were allowed to continue to go to school each and every day and continue to act however they wanted with no repercussion. Needless to say I removed my children from the school and wouldn't recommend this school to ANYONE....

Posted January 28, 2012

Enrolled my child in this school thinking that she would get better accommodations than in a regular public school setting as a child with learning disability. What I found was that this school engages in "teaching the test, " focusing on FCAT scores rather than individual learning. One to one help consisted of a teacher's assistant with no college degree and a classroom teacher that had an expired license the entire year and appeared burned out every time I saw her. I was highly disappointed on the emphasis to pass the FCAT and the limited resources this school had to offer. Would not recommend.

Posted September 19, 2011

I have found the teachers to be very dedicated to helping each child learn. Children at this school need additional attention and help. The teachers arrive before school starts and are there after school ends. These teacher have to work eight hours a day without a break, not even a break for lunch. Few parents or care givers donate any time to the school. Some are working others may not have transportation. Before you criticize the teachers take time to visit and help out, as this will benefit your child and the teachers. The great majority of time is spent teaching the child how to behave, act responsibly and listen. This is a great school with dedicated teachers and staff. It would be nice to call and thank them for their sacrifices.

Posted March 1, 2011

I've been researching schools to find an alternative from what my children are dealing with in their current public schools. When I read the negative review about how there was no homework, I had to comment. Did you even bother researching what type of school this was?! Many parents, like myself find this policy wonderful. If you want your kid to have loads of busy work, you have much more choices than us parents who feel that homework is out of control. Do your research. And while your at it, research the studies that show homework does not improve outcomes., especially in elementary years.

Posted February 23, 2011

Our daughter arrived at this school behind academically and feeling beaten down by the other students at her last school. Within a year and a half she has caught up to where she is supposed to be (+) and feels reallys confident. Thank goodness there isn't tons of homework. We do what the teacher recommends -- 40 min. of reading at home & drills for basic math facts. We used to sit at home for HOURS doing homework and all felt angry by dinner time. Why all the homework -- what are the teachers teaching during the day?

Posted October 7, 2009

This school is a joke for many reasons. One is, there is a 'no homework policy'. I asked a teacher about giving homework and was told she would be fired if she gave homework. Another teacher said giving homework is a waste of time because the kids do not do it. How is this teaching accountability and responsibility to a student. Homework aside, my child was not challenged here. I have no confidence in the leadership of this school.

Posted October 2, 2009

This School has helped my Daughter in every way Learning and her self a steam .The Teachers are Helpful and understanding to what your Child needs , the class sizes are Small and there's more one on one with the children And that's Just what my daughter Needed ! Mr. Donnelly is On top of what The kids need In His School and I'm Proud to say My Child Goes There .

Posted June 23, 2008

The teachers are great. It is a small school and the kids leave with a sense of accomplishmnet. The focus is on learning not just the FCAT. Rosa Maple

Posted May 13, 2008

Our public school experience was really bad. My son is doing much better. He still acts like a kid, but doesn't fight going to school. Last year's teacher was fantastic and this year's teachers are really challenging him. I love the change I see. The principal, Mr. Donnelly is old school and really tells it how it is.

Posted June 20, 2004

School is good, lucky to have teachers that 'think out of the box' principle needs to be changed.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

22 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Asian 0% 3%

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2615 26th St W