Columbus, OH

North Franklin Elementary School 2

Posted June 17, 2015
My son attended this school K-4. I also went to this school as a child. I loved it until he hit 3rd grade. As soon as Mrs. Lawless (the principal) retired everything went down hill. I know that over the years public schools have had to cut back on certain things due to different religions, but this school just cut everything out. They used to be able to bring in cards on Valentine's Day to pass them out, but they didn't allow that his last year there. What harm could sending cards in do? Having seen this school during its prime, his last year there was very disappointing. I know children that attend other SWCS and they have not cut these things out. My son also struggled with math and when I asked for a tutor for him, neither his teacher or the principal could offer anything. It seems to me that they just quit caring after they found out they were closing the school after the 2015-16 school year. One person can truly make a huge difference in a school. Mrs. Harkins just didn't have what it took to keep the school spirit going at North Franklin like all of the other principals had in the past. I do appreciate Connie (school secretary) more than words can even express. She always had my sons best interest in mind and thats all I could ever ask for. I sent my other son to Columbus Prep Academy (right down the street from North Franklin) when he started Kindergarten because I knew North Franklin was not right for him. The only reason I didn't pull my 4th grader out was because of his friends that he had gone to school with his entire life, and also the fact that it was his last year at this school. It's sad to see what was once a wonderful school come to a close like this.

North Franklin Elementary School
Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted June 17, 2015
Mrs. Cornell is an outstanding teacher! She goes above and beyond to help her students succeed. As for the other teacher's they were there to do their job and collect a paycheck. It takes a special person to be a teacher, and if you don't want to be there you shouldn't.

Posted January 13, 2012
After moving out of state and having switched my child into 2 different schools I now see what a GREAT school this was. My kindergartner was sent home with reading literature every night. I only wish they could test on it every day on the computer to reinforce comprehension and rewards were given for reading goals reached. The teachers and principal were stellar. The safety of the students is a huge deal. My child was ushered every morning by a teacher directly to the entrance doors of the school. For pick up each teacher is responsible for their students until all of them are put into you car or on the bus. They have them line up in single file lines on good weather days and once again a teacher walks your student straight to your car door. they use walkie talkie's to call each students name. I NEVER worry about my child going home with anyone they should not or being intercepted by anyone they should not. Any parent should be proud to send their child to this school

Posted June 12, 2011
My child has attended here four years now and this is just an awesome school. He is way above average in everything: reading, math, & science are his favorites. The entire staff is just great. They genuinely care about their students, both academically and as individuals with their own little personalities. The school has an excellent rating from the state. The building may be old, but it's the best in the district.

Posted July 04, 2009
I would not send my children to any other school. If you just look at the ratings this school has an excellent report card from the state. But if you look at the community within the school and beyond test scores this is the perfect environment for a child. Teaching and demonstrating core virtues~noone can ask for a better school. I experience the small town loving and compassion amidst a big city! This school will always have a special place in my family!

Posted December 20, 2003
i feel that north franklin is an exceptional school for my first-grader and kindergartner...the staff is very attentive and nurturing to the students...i'm involved in the pta and help out in both of my children's classes as much as just amazes me to watch my children grow in a great learning environment!!

North Franklin Elementary School
1122 North Hague Ave, Columbus, OH  43204
Last modified North Franklin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
North Franklin Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top