No rating

Hendricks Day School

Private | PK-8 | 301 students

What they take from here, they take for life.

Living in Jacksonville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $65,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $750.

Posted March 19, 2013

My family has been at Hendricks for the past 10 years. My youngest child will be graduating this year and my older daughter transitioned beautifully from HDS to high school. I know that my daughter going into high school this fall is academically and socially prepared, thanks to the strong foundation provided at Hendricks.

Posted February 26, 2013

My two kids have been a part of the HDS family for 8 years. I can't speak highly enough for the school and staff. My kids have been challenged academically but in a caring, comfortable environment. The teachers and staff truly care for each child. Also, the sports programs offered at HDS have opened the doors for my kids to play sports they may not have had the opportunity to participate in at other schools. Because of this extra attention, my kids now are playing sports at the high school level. The culture at HDS is truly unique. The differentiated instruction really helps each child learn in their own unique way. Your child will become more confident and secure with who they are. Please take the time to consider HDS where the teachers, facility, and staff will give your child the individual attention and tools necessary to succeed. Wonderful school and staff.

Posted February 25, 2013

My three children have been part of the HDS family for 6 years. Academically, my children are getting the best education filled with critical thinking and rigor. They have been challenged but not overwhelmed by the curriculum and have learned to love learning! My oldest is completing his last year in the elementary school and we are looking forward to the opportunities in the HDS Middle school. The middle school faculty knows and loves each student. They are always available and excited about their students and our school. My children will be prepared to attend any high school in Jacksonville and will get through the scary middle school years in a safe, nurturing and academically rich environment. I am so thankful we are part of the Hendricks family!

Posted February 19, 2013

have worked closely with the staff from Hendricks and cannot say enough about how great they are. The staff works together as such a great team, and you can easily see how much they truly love their students and school. They hold true to their core values and expect their students to do the same. The students are so polite and eager to learn, it's very refreshing to see. I know that when my children are old enough, they will be going straight to Hendricks Day School.

Posted November 20, 2012

I have been a parent at HDS for eight years and was very proud of HDS' academics, athletics, music, and more. However, in the 2011-2012 school year, HDS implemented an "Ambassadorship Program" which was vague and ambiguous at best. In the 2012-2013 year, the school made modifications and allegedly more objective measures, however, even with the adjustments, the "Ambassadorship Program" results are still inconsistent with the feedback of the teachers. The "Ambassadorship Program" is supposed to measure courtesy, responsibility, integrity, scholarship, and persistence of the student but the only true result from this Program is irritation for the student and the parent with no definition or explanation of the resulting score and, in some cases, in contrast with the comments of the teacher(s). After two years of this program (and eight years at this school), my family will be making a change for the 2013-2014 school year where we can still have high academic standards and diversity in the arts and sports, but with a more productive and positive character program.

Posted October 26, 2011

I am in my 4th year as an HDS parent. I can't say enough about this school. It has taught my son to really think for himself in terms of good decisions vs bad decisions. They really teach you on an individual basis, as "no student learns the same" this is so true and this is how they teach every student. It is a true family atmosphere, everyone from the head of school, the heads of the diff depts, the head of the cafeteria, the receptionist, the finance ladies and everyone in between know you by name. My youngest child is 3 & does not go to this school till next yr but just about everyone on campus knows him by name and makes a point to make him included in everything. It truly is a family learning atmosphere with the top curriculum and so many advantages. When they say they teach you "how to think not what to think" it is true in every aspect throughout the school. I couldn't imagine my children going to any other school after this experience. I am so happy I have my youngest starting PK4 next year which means I will be part of the Hendricks Family (and that's truly what it is) for another 10 years! That will make 14 all together & I wouldn't have it any other way!

Posted September 29, 2011

We are enjoying our fourth year being part of the HDS Family. We not only are experiencing our fourth year being students of Hendricks Day School, we couldn't imagine our children anywhere else. Of course all schools offer reading, writing, math, some extras but how many of them infiltrate your entire life. Everything we learn, we experience, we do somehow ties back to HDS. We have looked and toured all of the local private schools. None "felt right". It sounds to easy to say it feels right, but from the moment that you walk onto campus to the moment you experience one of those ah ha moments in your child s education HDS "feels right". Our daughters are not round peg round hole kinds of children. HDS not only teaches them in the way they each need, HDS embraces that and supports that. There is a clear attitude of success for the whole child not just the "academic" child. Everything from a Drama Club, to a Cross Country Club, to Pom's Team, to an Environmental Club to Safety Patrol, HDS is there to support the child, the family and the notion that education is not a one size fits all. Most people like their school, HDS parents LOVE their school!

Posted September 20, 2011

I have been a Hendricks parent for over ten years. If you want your child to learn reading, writing, and arithmetic so that they can pass a test, send them to your neighborhood school. However, if you are looking for a nurturing environment, where your child will not only grow academically but will be given opportunities and challenges beyond a standard curriculum, then Hendricks Day School is for you. I truly believe that the teachers at Hendricks are there because they love the students and they love to teach. With few exception, every teacher that my children have had, taught with passion, warmth, and created an environment where my children were excited to learn. My daughter played three sports while in middle school. Hendricks' athletic programs build confidence, teach responsiblity, and provide a great way for students to be proud to represent their school. They have started to develop more activities for elementary students as well, such as a chorus and pom squad which perform at school functions as well as some events in the city. I know we made the right choice in sending our children to Hendricks.

Posted September 19, 2011

The reason our family loves this school is because it has become our extended family. The entire faculty & staff makes us feel important and welcomed. My daughter has a team of adults she has learned to trust. What a gift that is! Hendricks Day School is also the only school in Jacksonville postured to take care of each student individually. Our daughter was able to take an advanced Math course in order to prepare her for high school. She also has many choices when it comes to encore classes such as Video Game Design, Renaissance Theater, Television Studio Production, Drum Circle, Test Taking Skills, STOMP, Recycling Club, Art. Beyond the classroom, the athletic program is one of the finest in the city, where students are encouraged to participate and because of this she went out for two sports!

Posted December 10, 2009

I just moved here in December of '09 was faced with putting my son in a school that was BAD students in the hallway cursing teachers all around did no care etc... I went on a mission to find another school I would feel good about leaving my son in and in two hours I found Hendricks Day. Went inside and found not only a school worthy of my son, but also hugs to make me feel better and shoulders to cry on. WOW what a great team there. My son will be very happy there. :-)

Posted April 16, 2009

I have two children at Hendricks. There are multiple reasons why we are so happy at this school but I must say that the predominant reason is that the school sees each child as an individual and fosters each child's needs. If a child is gifted and excels in an area, then the school helps that child to reach new and exciting levels. If a child struggles in a particular subject, then that child is given the resources and attention to help him or her. This is a school that truly focuses on education in a family atmosphere.

Posted March 16, 2009

Both my children are in the lower school and I can't say enough good things about the curriculum. My boys are way ahead of their peers in the public schools academically and the teachers are very good. Differnt learners? No problem. HDS gears their curriculum to all types. The school is warm and parent's are encouraged to be a part of any activity or school function. Llike any private institution, fund raising is necessary - but voluntary.

Posted February 23, 2009

We moved to Jacksonville in the summer of 2008. Our boys were entering the 5th & 7th grades, so it was important to find a school that 'fit' them. They both came from gifted programs, so we wanted academic challenge. The boys wanted good sports programs. Although they were accepted at other schools that some might consider more 'prestigous', those schools did not feel right to us. After visiting HDS, we knew it was the right fit. HDS is warm and welcoming. It has a unique critical thinking program that provides challenging new ways to learn and think about problem solving. The teachers are enthusiastic and devoted. The staff is flexible and has worked hard to make sure our boys are in the right level/type of classes to remain challenged. We have been very pleased and highly recommend HDS. They will make sure the school 'fits' your child's needs and personality.

Posted January 26, 2009

We tried HDS because public school was too big and institutional. Couldn't be happier. Yes, it is sweet and small, but more importantly, my kids are taught to analyze information via a critical thinking model. It is a comfort to know when they do search the net they have skills in separating fact/opinion/bias.

Posted January 22, 2009

best school ever!!! My child is in pk-3 and loves it. His teacher is adorable!!! This school to me is highly recommended!!!

Posted January 10, 2009

A challenging, friendly, critical thinking environment...students are well prepared for the high school of their choice. Science curriculum is particularly strong.

Posted June 13, 2008

Hendricks Day School has helped me raise my three children. We came to the this school 10 years ago and have been blessed ever since. My children have been well prepared for high school and know how to think about their decisions and problem solve thanks to Hendricks. The atmosphere at HDS is like no other. There is a family friendly feeling and the teachers make learning fun. At the same time the children are challenged and expectations are high. The friends that my kids have made at Hendricks are many and lasting. The field trips to Key West, the mountains, Washington, Savannah, St. Augustine, Tallahassee and Jekyl Island are awesome. The before and after school extended day program is great and helpful to working parents. The sports program is very competitive and strong. It encourages the students to strenghten their athletic abilities and teaches them to manage their time.

Posted May 8, 2008

We recently transferred our two children to Hendricks. One of my sons has a slight learning disability and I can honestly say his teacher has gone far above and beyond the norm to keep him (and me) on track. She is kind and thorough, and I feel he has progressed substantially largely because of her efforts. Meanwhile, my other son enjoys a rigorous academic environment with yet another outstanding teacher. My only complaint is minor, and echoes an earlier sentiment: they are not very understanding of the working parent. We are constantly asked to fundraise, donate, attend, provide, or come to daytime events, often with a price tag attached. It is difficult, especially when they involve our children in these pressuring tactics. Both my boys are very concerned with numerous fundraising efforts (cookie dough, dress down days, ice cream, box tops) and it has become tiresome.

Posted March 4, 2008

I have two boys who attended Hendricks Day School, and I was impressed by many things but most importantly the level of instruction and genuine interest and provision for each individual child's strengths and weeknesses. My boys had different strength areas - one was strong in math and the other in language arts. Both were successful because the Hendricks teachers just refused to let either child faulter. The level of instruction was very high allowing both my boys entrance into the high school of their choice. Their Hendricks friends remain some of their best friends today because at Hendricks you make friends for life. Check it out if you are looking for an extension of your family values and want a first class education for your child.

Posted March 3, 2008

Great school academically. The entire staff is very encouraging/nurturing to its students. The staff continuously trains on the most modern forms of teaching. It s a needed school in the area. Downside- All invitations for events/expos are during the work day. Makes a parent feel as though he's missing out on his child s education. Also, there's no relief in asking for donations. They have their annual donation drive, which is expected. But, they also have an elaborate auction toward the end of the year where they strongly encourage donations (money, computers, weekend getaways?). Individual classes are rewarded if there is 100% participation. Gee, I don t want my child to make the entire class suffer, right? It is a great school, but they should be more sensitive to the working parent.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Yoga club

Gifted & talented

• National Honor Society

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:10 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 a.m.
  • Linda Johnson, Ed.d.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Fax number
  • (904) 720-0435

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Book/reading club
  • Community service
  • Cooking club
  • Drama club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • National Honor Society

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis