/ School Profile
New York, NY
Students enrolled: 1,039

Washington Irving High School 4

Posted September 17, 2012
I graduated from WIHS way back in 1949. The graduation class, at that time, was over 700 kids,. It was an all girl HS at that time, and there was an all boys HS--Sturvesant high, 2 blocks away--every Friday night, we would have dances--sometimes the girls would host--sometimes the boys would host--but, a Great time was had by all. WIHS was "old" even then--the ony elevators in the buildings were used only by the teachers or students with "special" passes--I can remeber many times having gym class in the basement of the old school and having to climb the 11 floors to the new building and my next class--in 3 min. time The school was old, but the girls were all young and full of pep-we were anxious to let people know we were in high school our principal was strict, and there were many rules the students had to obey--and we did--we knew what would happen if we were discharged from our school. we had a great 4 years-- Anyone, who goes to high school today-no matter which school it is and says they hate it--well, you just aren't making the most of the BEST 4 YEARS OF YOUR LIFE--I am so sorry to hear about the closing of the school, but the memories will live on.

Washington Irving High School 1

Posted September 07, 2012
I graduated from this school in '07 and am not sad that the school is being closed. Some, actually close to all of the worst experiences in my life have happened at this school. Most of which were caused not by the students but the staff members. This school is just an overall failure anyway you look at it. If I could go back in time and transfer out of this school, I would, in the drop of a hat. I feel bad for only a very few number of students and staff members who will be inconvenienced by the shut down.

Washington Irving High School 1

Posted April 06, 2012
I hate this school and I am glad it's shutting down! I was MUGGED in broad daylight right outside the school- by some of the students! A kid grabbed my phone and ran, her friends started laughing and verbally harassing me. I did some research online, and apparently this isn't an isolated incident- it appears these kids have even beat up a pregnant woman! I say throw these obnoxious delinquents into prison now, and save the rest of us civilians from their antics. I am never walking past that school again, and no wonder they have metal detectors and an X-ray to enter, they've found kids with guns too!

Posted April 13, 2010

Posted March 29, 2010
they have dedicated teachers and staff and a new website - www.washingtonirvinghigh.org

Washington Irving High School 4

Posted March 28, 2010
i graduated during 08 and this school has ups and downs. There is definitely some great teachers in this school especially in the Math and English department. Most of the excellent teachers left because (in my opinion) of the students. Some students just don't care about school and like to disrupt the class and argue. I also had a lot of fun from after school activities and friends.

Posted September 01, 2009

Posted March 01, 2009
i am a junior in wihs. it is a great school full of dedicated teachers. i have learned so much these past years and i want to thank everyone at wihs! people might say it is bad or dangerous but its not at all. we are 100 percent protected and it is a good school. i recommend it to everyone.

Posted February 28, 2009
I started studying here from September and this is my first time in an American high school. I love Washington Irving High School. The students are a bit wild but It doesn't matter as long as you stay focused. The teachers are wonderful and encouraging. I've made good friends here. The school is not as bad as people say. Infact its a wonderful school and I don't think the school is as dangerous as I'd heard before I entered school. Don't listen to people to who say bad things. Go and try to get involved in the environment. You'll make friends and you'll improve in studies, atleast I did.

Washington Irving High School 3

Posted December 07, 2008
I'm a former student, who was part of the Yalow house. My experience in high, I would have to say it was average. Of course there was some negative energy from people in the school, but there is so much more to this school then what people see: the teachers are dedicated and the afterschool activites are interesting.

Washington Irving High School
40 Irving Place, New York, NY  10003
Last modified Washington Irving High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington Irving High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top