/ School Profile
New York, NY

Neighborhood School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 07, 2015
when you read about the best/most highly reviewed Private Schools in the city, you find certain common traits - mixed-age classrooms, progressive education, strong social studies curriculum focused on teaching to the whole child. this school has ALL of that and it's public school! The students, parents and teachers/staff view education as a partnership between all parties involved and act accordingly to deliver on that. It's amazing that such a school can even exist in such odd political times for public schools in NYC.

Posted June 05, 2015
Many schools claim to be "good schools" but what parents need to understand is their definition of "good" and what the term is representative of. Neighborhood is not a good, school, it is a GREAT one. What makes it great is the commitment the teachers, administrators and parents put into building a community, recognizing that a child is more than a test score and creating an environment that appreciates what it means to learn and what the joy of teaching to children is all about. If you're looking for a school that measures success and progress in an authentic way and believes in the fundamentals of education, then consider "TNS". At TNS, teachers see themselves as partners in their kids' learning and this is evident by the rich curriculum they develop and the myriad of ways they integrate the curriculum into everyday learning. While basics like reading, writing and math align to Common Core, the material is presented in a rich and engaging way so that children feel invested in the subject matter ,genuinely excited about learning and develop not just Common Core aligned knowledge, but the tools to be critical thinkers and social citizens of their community. Of note, TNS kids go on to very sought-after middle schools and do very well academically. What they learn in their early years are tools for academic and social-emotional well being that stay with them. From 'Blackboard Award' winning teachers, to unique and enriching after-school programming offerings, this school is truly special and as a parent, I feel so lucky to be sending my kids here.

Posted June 03, 2015
I am the parent of a 1st grade student at The Neighborhood School, and I could not be more impressed. TNS is a very special place. My son loves going to school and has grown academically and socially. The progressive model means that he learns while doing, and that has been wonderful to see. While his class has intensively studied architecture for the past two months, for example, he has learned new vocabulary, practiced spelling and writing, used math and early engineering skills, written stories, created artwork, read many books on the topic, and taken field trips to multiple famous landmark buildings. He is engaged and excited about learning. I am thrilled that TNS also offers a solid curriculum for reading, writing, and math. Plenty of physical activity is incorporated in to each school day. My son also goes outside of his classroom multiple times weekly for spanish instruction, science, art studio, library, and gym with specialized teachers. Every teacher at TNS is warm, engaging, and dedicated. The principal is smart, approachable, and clearly respected by both the parents and teachers. We are thrilled with our experience at TNS thus far, and we are looking forward to many more happy years at this school.

Posted January 23, 2015
We are so grateful to have found The Neighborhood School, as our family has benefited tremendously from the collective wisdom of the adults there. Both of our children have had committed teachers who have created rich, challenging and engaging curricula. Given the singularity of the DOE's focus--test, test, test--this commitment on the part of the teachers and leadership at TNS is particularly admirable. The social studies curriculum is the focus of learning each year, and has totally engaged my kids (and impressed their parents). The literacy curriculum at TNS is rich and involves reading and discussing novels, poems, and non-fiction. The math curriculum has shifted to align with Common Core and the teachers are working hard to adapt it to improve its delivery. The "special" teachers in science, Spanish, and gym, and our librarian and art teachers also deserve special mention for their all-round excellence. I wholeheartedly recommend this school for families who are looking for a creative, rich and child-centered approach to education.

Posted December 01, 2014
Such an amazing school with so many unique offerings. New principal who communicates well, is open to ideas and is looking to bring more technology into the grades, Spanish 3 days a week/ starting in pre K, gym 3 days a week/ starting in pre K, a belief that children learn from recess and field trips! The school was recently named a PROSE school by the DOE because of the way they evaluate student and teacher work. Parent community is diverse and is welcome to give as much time an energy as they can. In this day and age of test test test, it's refreshing to see a school focus on teaching children good values, good citizenship, provide an emphasis on arts in education in a community-oriented environment. There are creative ways to learn, to foster a sense of learning, to provide a warm welcoming environment and non-competitive education, and present an alternative method of learning that merely drums facts into kids' heads. A true model of progressive education, which is focused on teaching to the whole child, and not the trained monkey approach.

Neighborhood School 4

Posted May 07, 2014
The Neighborhood School is a dream elementary school experience. The community and culture is warm and focused on the children above all else. There is equal emphasis on academics as there is on raising socially aware and concientious human beings. I wish there was more music and art focus but Spanish is a huge plus and the all-school/family Sing! every month is a wonderful experience.

Posted May 07, 2014
We are so grateful to have found The Neighborhood School, as our family has benefited tremendously from the collective wisdom of the adults there. Both of our children have had committed teachers who have created rich, challenging and engaging curricula. Given the singularity of the DOE's focus--test, test, test--this commitment on the part of the teachers and leadership at TNS is particularly admirable. The social studies curriculum is the focus of learning each year, and has totally engaged my kids (and impressed their parents). My 4th grade daughter is right now up past her bedtime listening to a podcast by a medical historian about midwives in Colonial Williamsburg, at her own insistence. This intense engagement with their school work is typical. This is good teaching! The literacy curriculum at TNS is rich and involves reading and discussing novels, poems, and non-fiction. The math curriculum has shifted this year to align with Common Core and the teachers are working hard to adapt it to improve its delivery. The "special" teachers in science, Spanish, and gym, and our librarian and art teachers also deserve special mention for their all-round excellence.

Posted May 01, 2014
I love the Neighborhood School because the academics are rigorous, creative, and fun. Very hands-on, very progressive. The community is very diverse (much more so than that of the rest of the city's schools) and very inclusive--it has become a big part of our lives, in a great way. My two children learned to love learning there and have carried that with them.

Posted April 30, 2014
I love this school's progressive philosophy that stresses collaboration, citizenship, teamwork and kindness. It's not just lip service, the way it is at many other schools -- it's woven into the fabric of the way the kids are taught. I have a graduate and a 4th grader, and we've been blessed with devoted, spectacular teachers (only one lousy one, who is no longer at the school). My kids are very different learners, and TNS has been great for both of them. I feel that their teachers really GOT them. I think the school does individualized learning really well. I'm very optimistic about the new principal, who seems totally competent and savvy.

Posted April 30, 2014
No school is - or can be - perfect but I highly recommend this school. I read the below negative reviews but I currently have two kids in the school and another who graduated, including a child with an IEP, so I can speak from years of experience with multiple teachers and three principals. Except for one bad year (and the co-teachers are no longer in the school), our experience has been very positive. I find the teachers to be supportive and responsive. Of course, there have been times when I was unhappy about something but my issues were responded to and addressed. The community is socio-economically and ethnically diverse. The parent community is warm and welcoming. Each classroom is also set up to be warm and welcoming. Student work is displayed in the hallways and in the classrooms. I want my children to develop a love of learning, to be curious about their world, to be good thinkers and be confident. I think The Neighborhood School is doing that AND providing a great academic foundation.

Neighborhood School
121 East 3rd Street, New York, NY  10009
Last modified Neighborhood School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Neighborhood School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top