Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (3 responses)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted December 10, 2015
Dyanthe is a dynamic leader who really cares about the students and their futures. She is a champion for quality public education and goes above and beyond to make sure our children get a well rounded education.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted December 10, 2015
There is no homework in Kindergarten and I believe that is just the right amount.

Posted December 10, 2015
We love TNS. This year my daughter is in Kindergarten and will have her regular classes as well as Spanish, Science, Music, Art and gym. Within the first few weeks of school they went on their first field trip. The school believes in educating the whole child and that is just terrific.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted December 08, 2015
There is not an overemphasis on busy work, but there are good projects that support the classroom teaching and allow parents some insight into the work their children are doing.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted December 08, 2015
I would agree strongly, but I hate the buzzword "grit". The school creates capable, solid graduates.

Posted December 08, 2015
The teachers are great and are really supported by the principal, who is a strong proponent of progressive education. They all put the students first. There is an inspiring emphasis on community. My daughter attended from PreK through 5th, and is now at a great public middle school. My son is currently in 2nd grade, and has his best teacher yet.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted November 23, 2015
Dyanthe Spielberg is a principal who possesses the rare combination of reason, compassion, and drive that distinguishes great leaders. She makes students the priority, while always being there to hear parents' concerns, and without ever losing site of her role as an advocate for her stellar teachers. This balancing act is in many ways a reflection of the respectful and holistic approach of the school as a whole.

Posted November 12, 2015
I was skeptical at first about mixed aged groupings, especially considering I have a late December boy. The idea of that wide of an age range in one classroom concerned me, but after 2 years at TNS, I can honestly say I was proven wrong and both me and my child couldn't be more happy! The educators at TNS are EXCELLENT! Their curriculum is rich and the children respond well to the project based learning format. I would encourage all families to expore what TNS has to offer, I'm super excited for my second child to have this experience from Pre-K forward.

Posted November 12, 2015
We are so pleased with TNS. Our child started kindergarten this year and the teachers are so communicative and helpful. We love the principal and our child really enjoys going to school.

Posted September 28, 2015
I have one daughter who graduated from TNS and another who will at the end of this year. We love it for many reasons: The community is warm and welcoming, making kids excited to be a part of it, which studies show enhances learning. The curriculum is creative and fun and at the same time rigorous, so kids actually and enjoy learning; expectations are high. They don't teach to the test. The teachers are really committed and engaged and really get to know each child's strengths and weaknesses and teach them accordingly. The student body is diverse ethnically and socio-economically, so kids are used to being around different kinds of people without a thought of "us" and "them." If I had it to do over again, I would definitely still choose TNS!

121 East 3rd Street, New York, NY  10009
Last modified Neighborhood School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Neighborhood School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 66 reviews. Top