Tag Elementary School

Charter | K-8

Living in Tucson

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $167,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Posted October 15, 2007

I've had my child at TAG since Kinder. I have had a few problems with the staff in the office but the teachers are great. Teachers have cared about the kids & working with them individually if needed. I'm sorry to see we lost some good teachers this year. I'm happy TAG is looking for more improvements & include sport, etc. Maybe to avoid things getting out of hand TAG should have a box just outside the office for parents to put notes in of suggestions/complaints, etc so TAG can work on the situation(s) sooner. As it seems no one that complains goes to him, they would just rather complain here. The school is doing much better so far this year. Dress code is way better. The teachers my child has had have been & is great. There is always room for improvement everywhere. Thank you TAG staff!

Posted July 5, 2007

This school is a sorry excuse for a source of education. Let alone to claim to be Talented and Gifted. Ha! It is so mismanaged, it is ridiculous. The dress code is disgusting, to say the least. We will def. not be returning. No one is on the same page curriculum-wise,either. It's a pathetic excuse for a school. Not even parent involvement could save this school.

Posted July 5, 2007

When we first came to TAG we believed that it would be a great school for our kids. We learned that we were very wrong. It is in serious need of some serious staffing and policy changes. It lacks proper manangement that is required to run a successful k-8 school. We were amazed at the total lack of professionalism, discipline, and quality staff at this school. It's chaos in the classrooms. And as far as a dress code..it does not exist. Everything from very short mini-skirts, chains, offensive shirts, and body peirecing is allowed. They certainly do not have our child's education as top priority. Needless to say, we no longer attend.

Posted March 26, 2007

I have had my boys at tag for the last 3 yrs. I have been very pleased! the kids know their principal, love their teachers and really love school. When one of the boys needed extra help, they were quick to provide the (free) extra tutoring he needed. I am very impressed with how well the teachers communicate with me. I want to thank every one at tag, especially the office ladies, mr. Ross, mr. Mehan and mrs. Lux. And mrs. Murray. Keep up the great work and dedication!

Posted January 22, 2007

My son is in the sixth grade at TAG. He has been there since the first trimester of kindergarten. The teachers, staff and director are wonderful. Anytime we have had an issue it has been resolved quickly and immediately through open communication. I wish it would go through the 12th grade so my son could stay there after the 8th grade.

Posted January 19, 2007

I have 3 children at TAG. I am very happy with the school and contrary to other review I have read is very easy to talk to the principal. He was very helpful when I had problems with discipline with my kids even gave me ideas. This is my second year there the young one are in first grade they both have wonderful teachers (the happened last during kindergarten). My oldest last year in second grade had a wonderful teacher, this year he is in a mix of third and fourth both teachers know how to use his mind. I also talk with other teacher from fourth to eighth grade. My kids will stay there for awhile. One thing I notice is the lack of volunteers, I understand everyone works, but spending time in school will help your child(ren) to grow. Try to make time.

Posted October 7, 2006

I have two children that attended TAG. One in third and one in eighth grade. I am so disappointed with the staff and principal. I have had a few meetings with the principal about concerns that I had. In each meeting it seemed as if he did not care to hear or do anything with my concerns. I thought this school would help my children learn at an accelerated pace. Instead, my children have been cheated out of a proper education due to lack of computers, music and sports programs Please, parents, read TAG's mission statement and then check out the school for yourself. You'll be surprised about what you don't find that they say they have.

Posted September 28, 2006

Well my daughter is only a kindergartner at Tag, so we have not had too much experience. My daughter seems to love it. She makes friends very easily with the other children at Tag and has not had any social problems there. I would not keep my daughter there past 1st or 2nd grade, but for little ones I think it's a great school to attend.

Posted June 8, 2006

I had my son at TAG from Kindergarten to middle of 3rd grade. I had to take him out because I couldnt afford to drive 40 miles a day anymore plus cover the cost of meals. While he was enrolled at TAG his education level far exceeded the public school I ended up having to put him in. We both really miss TAG. I was excited to hear that TAG has extended the school to include 6th thru 8th grade. If I had the means to take him back there I would in a heartbeat! If they ever decide to have transportation to and from TAG I would put my son back in TAG in a flash. The only thing I didnt like was no extracurricular activities. But who knows they may have changed that since 2003.

Posted February 18, 2006

I have had my daughter at TAG for almost a year. Her teacher is wonderful, however the Director of the school is a sorry excuse for leadership. And the PTA is non-existent since the President went missing. We will be pulling our daughter out at the end of the school year.

Posted February 17, 2006

I think TAG is a great school. My children love attending school there.

Posted February 10, 2006

My daughter went to TAG for two years before going on to middle school. She really loved the school and wishes she could go back. She misses her friends. They are a great group of kids which she still sees on the weekend. She learned alot from her teachers and really enjoyed everything about the school especially the staff. Everyone there has always been friendly and helpful and still asks about her eventhough she is no longer a student. She especially enjoyed and respected Senora Herring, the spanish teacher.

Posted August 18, 2005

This school has gone down, there is 8th grader girls walking around with there pantys hanging out, 6 new teachers this year and on 1st grade teacher already quit, just over all not happy any more, this school also has alot of bullys this year, 2 weeks of school and my son has been hit in the face 2 times and called bad names, school dont nothing! playground isnt very good for kids, they have the 7-8th graders inside the gate and the 5th grader outside the gate. Im not please at all this year! kids are pulled!!!!!!!!!!

Posted June 21, 2005

The School doesn't offer music or art classes. It does have Spanish classses for students.

Posted April 22, 2005

Tag is an excellent school. My daughter has been challenged and is getting a's.

Posted August 8, 2004

TAG seems to be a great school so far. The children are getting a wonderful education, much better than the public schools. Most of the teachers are very dedicated. The school is lacking a few things, but they are working hard on improvements, such as a library and computer lab. The director has always been very open to discussing different ideas with me and other parents I know. Sadly, the school's biggest problem seems to be some of the parents. A lot of them do not take responsibility for their children and expect the school to act as the children's parents instead. This year brings a lot of new families, and I hope that they are more responsible than some of the ones who have been at the school in the past.

Posted May 13, 2004

TAG is disorganized and chaotic, the office is not a source of information for anyone, and often left unattended. The playground is a dirt lot behind a hazaardous storage house (eye-sore in front of the beautiful mountain view) and there is not lunchroom, library or computer lab. There are a few good teachers still working at TAG, and for that I'm grateful; but good teachers are more scarce each year. We're not returning to TAG next year.

Posted April 26, 2004

This school lacks organization from the Director. The school succeeds because of the commitment teachers have for their classrooms.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 25, 2004

The school is excellent. The teachers really care about the kids, they have different programs that help my kids learn and interact with the world, and the building itself is very nice. I was really impressed by the technology in the computer lab. Although at the moment the playground is lacking, the PTA and the administration said that they were trying to build it up. I would most certainly refer any parents with young children here.

Posted August 13, 2003

I found TAG to be a wonderful school where each teacher has a deep concern and appreciation for every student. The children on the campus are very well behaved and actually very polite. I have seen very few instances of any negative behavior( other than running in the halls ) The children I have encountered have always seemed very happy and so are all of the other parents that I have talked to. I am really excited about moving to the new location on E. Speedway. The school will be brand new and layed out much differently then the old site on 22nd st. The principal is a friendly man who has an open door policy for anyone who would like to talk to him anytime. I find that to be very reassuring. You always know where to find him and I did not have that at the last school my kids attended. I really like the idea of the schools self paced learning. I think that any child would benefit from attending TAG.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A47%
Female 51%N/A49%
Male 49%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

10129 East Speedway Boulevard