PK, 5-8
Philadelphia, PA

Vare Edwin H Middle School 4

Posted January 15, 2014
My son is currently a student at Universal Vare and I can say that it seems like the teachers are there because they care. He is a very challenging child because of his ADHD but the staff have been great with keeping up with his behavior plan which is helping my son achieve. I believe if they keep up the good work this school can move up to at least a 6 out of 10.

Posted September 07, 2013
I have to say that the school had inproved a lot in the 4 years that I have been there. The teachers are trying their best to teach the students. Not only that they care so much that they try to keep the kids out of trouble... I have to say that the teachers their Dont give up and on the students... With the students and teachers and students, they all had improved in their behavior and learning

Posted July 08, 2013
If you can send your child to another school, I highly advise you to do so. I worked one year at Vare, and it was probably the most emotionally draining, depressing year of my life. Administration is distant, ignorant, and cold, teachers - while some of them do honestly try their best - are untrained, unskilled, and unsupported. From day one, students were primarily yelled at and ignored when they had a problem. Academics are not taken seriously (i.e., homework was almost never checked or collected in 3/4 of classes). This school essentially forces students to practice for standardized tests every couple of weeks, disrupting what little time they actually do have to learn. The worst area, though, is behavior and discipline. Fights are common, and rarely result in any significant punishment. The "climate" or non-teaching assistants cause at least as much trouble as they resolve, joking with students in the halls who should be in class and sometimes even encouraging bad behavior. If this school is going to improve, it needs a complete redesign of leadership and disciplinary structures.

Vare Edwin H Middle School 4

Posted May 24, 2012
Universal Vare Charter School is working together with the students, parents, community and beyond to create the best learning environment possible for our students. The start of Positive Behavior Support (PBS) will be an effective practice to change the overall climate at Vare. Students area already making huge improvements, I can't wait to see how next year goes!

Posted April 29, 2012
This school has improved tremendously since being taken over by Universal. I am proud to teach here. I can see a drastic change in the children since September. This school will be a showpiece for the community within the next 5 years. The academics are rigorous and the school leadership is sound. This school is working hard to make a difference for their students. We will be 5 stars within the next few years.

Posted May 26, 2010
I have worked in 10 schools in my career. This is by far the worse. You don t teach you babysit. You have to physically put kids in their class. There is no control. All I do is break up fights on a daily basis, sometimes more than one a day. Have ruined a few shirts when I got students blood on them. No real discipline. Scant supplies. Building falling apart.

Posted April 01, 2010
There is a reason this school is persistantly dangerous. There is no discipline and the students are very aware of this fact. The administration is not supportive and are unresponsive when incidents occur. The teachers seem to be trying their best, but they cannot succeed if there is not strong leadership. The assistant principal is rude and unprofessional when speaking to people.

Posted September 24, 2009

Posted August 28, 2009
The teachers are wonderful, they have a good set of morals, and will try their best to teach every student, only if they are willing to help themselves. The only problem is that some students don't appreciate that, and act out, bad parenting leads to children misbehaving in school. So I wouldn't blame the school if it was 'bad', I'd blame the lack of discipline the students gain from exterior sources.

Vare Edwin H Middle School 5

Posted August 19, 2009
This school was great. I have learned so much through it, and it has left a scar that will forever remind me of life's challenges. The school is a constant battlefield physically, mentally, and emotionally. If you can make it through this, you are the man! Though it is tough, it is nothing compared to Southern. That place is barbaric.

Vare Edwin H Middle School
2100 South 24th St, Philadelphia, PA  19145
Last modified Vare Edwin H Middle School is a Public school that serves grades PK, 5-8
Vare Edwin H Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top