Focus Learning Academy

Charter | PK-12 | 902 students

We are best known for differentiated instruction, technology & athletic success!

Living in Dallas

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $90,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted September 1, 2011

I am happy with the education my son is receiving. He is a new student at Triple A, and enjoys being in a middle school environment. The school is offering a world-class educational experience for him.

Posted August 31, 2011

Focus Academy offers students as well as teachers opportunities to utilize technology through learning and teaching. Lessons are developed with the students' learning expectations based on TEKS. A great school which expresses a strong desire for all children to be successful.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 23, 2011

I have two children attending Focus Learning Academy and their academic growth has been great with commended performance. The administrators are professionals and the teachers are excellent. Because Focus has a high level of accountibility in place, their tolerance for nonsense is zero which includes employees, parents and students. Focus is not a perfect school, but they are a Recognized District and I have seen consistent improvement over the last 5 years. I am trying to get my third child in at Focus but he is on the waiting list..

Posted August 12, 2011

I do not know about the academics, but I can say that the hiring practices are horrible and atrocious. I was hired on verbally after successfull completing two interviews. I was informed three weeks later via text message that another candidate was chosen. I have sent several emails and even asked the employee of the company that gave me the verbal confirmation and there was no response plus a statement about me applying for a caretaker position, when I clearly applied for a teacher position. And another gentlemen said the same thing happened to him.

Posted July 24, 2011

This was my son's first year at Focus Academy, and I must say that he was truly surprised how nice the atmophere was a Focus Academy. The academic and athletic program is second to none. Therefore, my other son will be attending the school next year.

Posted March 29, 2011

i wish i could give this school a rating of negative five. im still waiting on the uniform that i bought and have recived nothing. this school seems like all they care about is money. i dont recomend this school to no one. and when i get the chance i will go to the board of education cause this makes no sense.

Posted March 31, 2010

Excellent School and I am impressed how my baby is reading now.

Posted November 5, 2009

Great cirriculum and staff. My son has the motivation from his teachers to do his best, excel at all he does and stay on the 'A' honor roll.

Posted September 16, 2009

I was a parent of two children that attended Focus Learning Academy & worked as part of the Focus team. I would recommend this school to any parent in the Dallas community desiring a school where the staff has their child(ren)'s best interest at heart . From the inside-out, the leadership at Focus research, investigate, and trial-run the best possible programs before incorporating them into the school's curriculum. They genuinely care about the children entrusted to them & take the time to get to know the students individually. Focus is full of growth & great potential. My kids are not there only due to circumstantial reasons, but if I were to return to Dallas, that is the school they would attend.

Posted September 15, 2009

Focus Academy is a great school. Their really there to help the kids. I love that school.

Posted June 1, 2009

I have 2 kids that attend Focus Learning Academy. One is in Mrs. Seamsters kindergarden class and the other is in Mrs. Watson's class. I really love the school and appreciate what they have done to help my kids. By the way this is their first year and I'm looking forward to next year.

Posted May 20, 2009

I have 2 kids who currently attend Focus Learning Academy. Since their enrollment in Jan 09, I've seen an outstanding change in my daughter's performance and behavior. Ms Dunn is an excellent teacher. Also, my son was able to adapt to his new sorroundings rather quickly. I love the open door policies and the staff for the most part are friendly. However, I would love to see just ONE uniform worn! They are very expensive and it would make a great difference in the parent's budgets who have two or more children like myself. Overall Thumbs Up! Thanks to all that deal with my kids JW & JS.

Posted May 4, 2009

My experiance with Focus Learning Academy has been a great one. The fifth grade teachers have shown me and my child so much love. The staff has been great. my son has a learning disability and the teachers encourage him to do his best on everything he does. To Mrs. Miles, Mrs. Wallace-Daniles And Mrs. Butcher you are greatly appreciated. Thanks for all of your support. To the sixth grade teachers we look forward to seeing you next year. To all the staff keep up the good work. my family loves all of you who work hard to teach our children daily!

Posted April 28, 2009

I have 2 children which have attended Focus Learning Academy for 3 years. The school has an open door policy which is important for children and parents. Each year my children have excelled not only in their school life, but their personal life as well. At this point, I can only say, God has a lot to do with everyone working at Focus Learning Academy. My children have received everything necessary for them to perform at their best level and they are doing very well, indeed. My prayer is that Focus Learning Academy will soon and very soon expand to grade level 12. Keep up the good work Focus.

Posted April 23, 2009

Focus helps many students who are intelligent but may learn differently. My first grade daughter does not have a learning difference, and she is still challenged because her teacher is very experienced, loving, and firm. The school works with students on all different levels.

Posted April 18, 2009

My child was struggling with school, but Thanks to the team at Focus, my child is learning. The experience that my child and I have had with the staff and teachers has genuinely been one of compassion coupled with professionalism. They have gone above and beyond to identify the needs of my child, they addressed her needs and came up with a plan that has allowed my child to perform at the best of her abilities, while continuing to keep her in the main stream with her peers. I see an amazing turn around in my childs ability to focus and learn. I am grateful that they were able to identify my childs needs which has enabled me to better assist my child with her school work. I look forward to my childs continued success at Focus.

Posted April 17, 2009

I have a son currently attending Focus. He started the year off in pre-k. His teacher at the time noticed that he was more advanced than some of the other students in his class. She then recommended that he be moved to the kindergarten class. I like how the teachers at Focus pay attention to the students and push the students to learn.

Posted March 26, 2009

I am a parent who's child completed grades 2nd thru 8th at Focus Learning Academy. For all the things that Focus seemed not to be, the one thing that it was and has been is determined to succeed. Succeed inspite of critics within and without. Nothing worth having or doing is easily achieved, that includes educating our children, all of them. I did not stay at Focus because it was perfect, nor did I stay because there was no where else to go. I stayed because I believed and still do in the mission of Focus Learning Academy. No matter where we place our children for education, it will not be problem free. We must roll up our sleeves and help. I thank Focus and my child loved his years there. In fact, they keep in touch and so do we with them. That is worth sticking with.

Posted June 30, 2008

I currently have two kids attending Focus. I believe you only get what you put in. With the No child left behind joke, and the pressure to succeed on TAKS the pressure is on not just the students but the staff as well. I have found that Focus is focused on those with ADHD and many other disablities that will go over looked in a local school. I hope the parents that read this will understand, that children with learning disablities have many issues besides their learning disablites but social interaction problems as well. If you want a great school, you have to support and help provide ideals to help your child succeed. My hat is off to Focus. The learning program their striving to provide would cost the average person over 18k if they were trying to send their child to schools like Fairhill, Dallas Academy or Slone. Go Focus.

Posted February 27, 2008

so far i took my daughter out of houston elementary in lancaster because of them not being ready for taks. focus is on a higher level than she was in lancaster and shes trying to catch up so that speaks for itself as far as the level. ms.boone a 3rd grade teacher seems like she really cares and the staff so far gives excellent feedback.i like the teacherease system. they are also having taks turoring twicw weekly that started way earlier than my childs school in lancaster did. i do see that they need a lot of renovation but we are new and will try to work with it if the academics turn out well. i didnt see alot of parents at the pta meeting though. parents need to be more involved !!! we expect teachers to raise our kids!!! no mamm!!!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

50 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

45 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

42 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

40 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

43 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

35 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

31 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

28 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

38 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

37 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

35 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

33 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

34 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

31 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

26 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

25 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

25 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

7 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

6 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

6 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students64%

Male100%
Economically disadvantaged80%
Special education80%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "AEA: Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "AEA: Academically Acceptable".

American Indian/Alaska Native N/A 0%

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 6%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • TEA Recognized District (2012)

Special education / special needs

• Special education
Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Technology

School start time
  • 8:00
School end time
  • 3:30
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Gaye Lang
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (972) 572-9610

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep

Performing arts
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Girl scouts
  • National Honor Society
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights