Public charter
Brooklyn, NY

Posted June 25, 2014
I love this school!!! My daughter, entered in Fall of 2013 in Kindergarten and after just 1 more day to the end of the term, she has improved incredibly. She went from not liking to read books to being very passionate about reading on her own; she reads to her dolls, for us and can even read and sound out big words in the bible. At this moment she's at a level I and forms excellent sentences, her penmanship is impeccable and gets better everyday. My daughter have serious food allergies and asthma, her teacher along with the school Nurse was like her school mummies, literally taking on the responsibility of having an EpiPen on school field trips and ever so caring overall. They encourage a healthy lifestyle; only nurtrional snacks are allowed. Ms Borge and Ms Castro are my teachers of the year! Kudos to them!!!

Lefferts Gardens Charter School 1

Posted June 10, 2014
This school is Horrible!! Behavior issues are a constant problem at this school. Teachers can't even teach because students are so disruptive. As a result, it takes away from important learning opportunities. The situation isn't being handled properly by the principal. My child needed to be evaluated in in order to qualify for special services. I kept calling the school but no one responded. The principal puts on a show for everyone, including myself. But in due time his true colors will show. He comes off as being very caring and concerned but he has a different agenda. He is a first year principal so he is out to better himself and no one else. At the end, the school and all of its teachers will suffer.

Posted February 13, 2014
Lefferts Gardens Charter School has been great, we moved from another state and we were welcomed with open arms. LGCS has exceeded my expectations. I am truly excited to have joimed with such a wonderful school. Science, mathematics, ASL, Arts and sports are just a few of the activities that he has experience. I am over excited to see what the years to come will bring to my young child.

Posted February 04, 2014
LGCS is a neighborhood charter school with an environmental science focus. Classes from K-3 are team-taught (ICT) and students have PE and recess every day. My son loves the science curriculum and field studies, which take students weekly to cultural partners including the Prospect Park Zoo, the NY Aquarium, the Queens Hall of Science, Old Richmond Town, and more. The school is new and has had some issues but seems to be on the right track this year with a new administration.

Posted January 30, 2014
My daughter entered for the fall 2013 kindergarden class. When i first heard about this school coming to Lefferts Gardens i was so excited. In the first couple of years i know they had some problems keeping a good school leader. But i believe they have found that in the new principal Michael WIndram. From listening to him speak you can see and feel that he his very passionate about teaching the kids. My daughter has blossomed even more since coming to LGCS. She looks forward each week to the fields they go on. I would definitely recommend this school to any neighborhood family. You won't regret it. My only wish is that the school went to the 8th grade.

Lefferts Gardens Charter School 3

Posted January 29, 2014
This school seems like a wonderful place to work and help students learn, however, the current administration is not too compassionate when it comes to the hiring process. I was invited in to do a demonstration lesson and interview for a full morning. As a person who is not familiar with the city one-way streets I took some wrong turns and got lost on the way to the school. After driving over two hours to get there and then struggling to find a parking spot outside the school building, I was turned away and not permitted to continue and be considered for the position. My entire weekend was spent on lesson plans and making charts and handouts, but my talents and abilities were not recognized or acknowledged.

Posted October 22, 2013
This school is improving each year as it progresses. They have a new principal, Michael Windram who is very hands-on and involved. Their Arts program is booming. They are in their 4th year and finally have a full time art teacher, Maude Wiltshire, who has implemented an outstanding art program. The teachers are very concerned about student progress and with 2 teachers per classroom a lot of work is accomplished every day. I am an excited parent and definitely recommend this school to neighborhood families.

Posted May 16, 2013
This science based school is great! My daughter entered for the fall of 2012 and enoys the program at Lefferts Gardens Charter School. She enojys the weekly science based trips to the BBG, Prospect Park Zoo, Construction kids and more. The Science truck is also a great addition to the program. The teachers are hands on and keeps you informed of your child's progress. If you feel you would like to have your child challenged, the teachers go as far as to give you supplimental work and challenging activities for your child. They have wonderful ways to show positive reinforcement on the great work the child has. I would recommend this school to anyone that lives within the district. Who wants their child going on a bus to travel far? If you are in district 17...this is the school for you! Happy Parent, wishing this school goes to grade 8

Posted June 15, 2012
Great school, great curriculum, great teachers and staff! The school spans K to 2nd grade and will continue to add more grades until they reach 5th grade. The lessons plan incorporates weekly environmental and science-based field trips in collaboration with leading environmental institutions like the Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Botanic Gardens and Prospect Park Zoo. Physical education and responsible nutruition is also stressed which are fundamentals missing in today's schools. The teachers, staff and school leader are focused and proactive. You really get a sense that everyone involved is dedicated to the success of the school and shares in the school's vision and mission. My son loves this school and as a parent,I love it more!!!! I think more parents should get involved and volunteer to make it a spectacular school.

Posted May 25, 2012
My kids & I love this school! Partnered with local resources, weekly field trips keep children excited & engaged in the adventures of learning, some of which is well disguised as play. Its been my experience that the staff is friendly, knowledgable, respectful & supportive. Not only for the children they are intrusted to educate, but also their families. The higher adult/child ratio ensures learning, individual attention & the right environment for a child's success, with minimal disruption. As a single mom it is important to me that my children have both male & female role models. In a traditionally woman dominated field it is a relief to see that LGCS is not that model. Male role models are peppered throughout the school in both general staffing & classrooms and not just in the PE department! I view this as a real bonus for my children. There is a nice diversity of students as well, much more reflective of not only our diverse neighborhood but our global economy, something seriously lacking in many of our District 17 schools. Over all I am very pleased with LGCS, I find it is a great fit for my family & values, I recomend this school highly.

Lefferts Gardens Charter School
601 Parkside Ave, Brooklyn, NY  11226
(718) 284-2093
Last modified Lefferts Gardens Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lefferts Gardens Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top