Public charter
Houston, TX

Kipp Spirit College Prep 4

Posted September 26, 2013
My granddaughter( 12ys old, 8th grade) attends KIPP Spirit. She started in the fifth grade and is currently enrolled .Prior to KIPP, she was in private school and though she excelled, she wasn't having much fun learning. She entered KIPP and things are going very well for her. She is now an outgoing and engaging child with lots of friends and associates who has been exposed to a lot of things she would not have . I am her volunteer parent for field trips, outings and excursions. The school is actively trying to get parents involved but it is a hard task to do...they have little or no desire to become participants. I meet and interact with the teachers and staff routinely (yes, I work a full time plus job). Her education and success is important to me and with it comes obligations and sacrifices. In order for her to succeed, I must make the concessions that are necessary for her to do so. Overall, KIPP Spirit is on track to being one of the premier KIPP sites and my family and I will work continuously towards this goal. Get involved with the school, the staff and students...volunteer, go on field trips, assist teachers with assignments as needed and extracurricular activities

Kipp Spirit College Prep 3

Posted August 22, 2013
My daughter attends the elementary and I thought with the small tuition that you would get a better education. I don't know about all other grades but I feel that the pre school is just a day care. I didn't need anyone to just watch my child for a few hours but I wanted her to learn something. The only thing she has picked up from school are bad habits. The teachers yell at the children and they mix and mingle the older elementary kids with the pre school kids. The parents aren't supportive either and staff is not very professional. I don't like the way it is structured and its too much busy work and not enough education.

Kipp Spirit College Prep 3

Posted May 17, 2011
The principal at KIPP SPIRIT, is horrbile, she has no social skills and she constantly shows her lack of concern for the advancement for the children. She seems to demonstrate characterisitc of a person who is all about making her name for herself and moving up the ladder. Everything that comes out of her mouth is "As an KIPPSTER" we are expected to do this and that....not looking at the fact that she is in an community who is lost and who are looking for a way out. She is forgeting that someone had to help her to get to where she is right now. But she must remember that everyone she has stepped over she will have to cross again.

Kipp Spirit College Prep 4

Posted December 10, 2010
I honestly believe the new principal , Mrs. Daphne Carter. has choosen the wrong career. She needs to be running a juvenile detention center, because honestly she is not there for the better of the child. I have spoke to her several times about different concerns, and she did not demonstrate any concern for the child at all, she seems to only care about making herself look good in the eye of superior. I have witness instances where the staff dread to see her coming thru the door. It is one thing to want control and order, but it is another thing when it shows that you are not there for the kids.She talks down to the staff, parents, and students as if she above them, she needs to learn to be more sympathetic to the children and her staff needs. As far as the education received at KIPP, the teachers are doing a great job, but the leadership skills are not there. I believe Mrs. Carter was a bad decision on KIPPS behave, she creates an environment where it seems as though you have to walk on rose pedals, to be around her, Mrs. Carter needs to do a reality check, just because KIPP is housed in a low -income community does not mean she should treat them as though they are not worthy.

Posted November 23, 2009
My son and daughter attend KIPP Spirit. Our experience has been great. My children have obtained valuable tools they will need to carry them throughout their lifetime.

Posted November 22, 2009
My daughter has attended this school since day one. Eventhough the first year was the best year in reference to Leadership, teaching and support, the children of this school still lack discipline on a consistent basis. Majority of the parents were very new to the 'KIPP Way' and so were the teachers & leadership therefore processes started to dwindled because of over worked teachers and leadership. KIPP Spirit has struggle w/gaining positive momentum. It has not been proven at KIPP Spirit as of yet but certain communities without 'STRONG' Community & Family involvement will struggle. Students & families of certain communities are tougher, they have the resilence, the perservance and they require consistent caring, true reassurance & a stable Leadership. At present Spirit's Leadership has transformed three or more times & at present the new Leadership has stated her commitment as an individual but KIPP SPirit still needs guidanceand support.

Posted August 29, 2009
MY daughter is attending Kipp Spirit in the new building, and attended summer classes in the old one. I thought the summer session was great, being that she was in HISD. Since we have been in the new building it has been hell.... The structure that is being implemented is too much at times for the students. Because Kipp is in a lower income neighborhood, they feel as if the kids need to be treated like they are in a juvi.. dentention center. Three days out of the week they are there until 5 o'clock. During this time my child has been able to use the restroom only 1 time during the day. let's just say if you'r child did not start off with Kipp keep them away. I know it is a College Prep school, but College doesn't treat you like this, nor is the homework that Massive.

Posted August 04, 2009
KIPP Spirit was a good school for the first two years my child was there. They have a big turnover with teachers. They need better leadership and they need people who really care about the students instead of people just going to work because its a job. Kipp Spirit in Sunnyside need stability, and a lot of it !

Posted March 09, 2009
My daughter has attended KIPP Spirit for the last three years. I belive KIPP Spirit to be a valuable part of her education

Kipp Spirit College Prep
11000 Scott St, Houston, TX  77047
Last modified Kipp Spirit College Prep is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8
Kipp Spirit College Prep Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top