Public charter
Los Angeles, CA

Posted April 01, 2013
My oldest son has been here for 3 years and my second oldest for a year, they both come from a private school. They are both doing great, they have great teachers and they have learned a lot and both are so interested in learning. We are very proud of them and grateful for CLAS.

Posted September 06, 2012
CLAS is a great school. My daughters started at CLAS their inaugural year. Both of my daughters are excelling in high school. They were well prepared by the academic and education philosophy CLAS instilled in them. Both daughters have made the principal's list at their "colege prepatory" high school. My oldest is being sought by top universities and ivy league schools. If you are willing to invest your time and commitment to the school, CLAS can do the same for you.

CLAS Affirmation School 1

Posted March 22, 2012
This school is horrible! I would not recommend it to anyone. The administration is backwards and very frustrating to deal with. The school is constantly in the red asking for money to stay afloat. The concept of what they should be sounds good on paper but in reality not worth the investment of risking your child's education.

Posted May 16, 2011
This school s model is based on the premise that Black-American children s cultural identity, and their needs based on their cultural identity, is not affirmed in the traditional public school setting. So, know that going in (if your family is from one of the racial/ethnic groups that is usually catered to in LAUSD, you may want to find another school). Parents of the Coliseum site, housing the K-1st grade, LOVE it. Parents at the Orville Wright Site (in Westchester), housing the 2nd 8th grade, differ widely on their opinion, based on the teacher. For the 09-10 school year, 60-70% of the teaching staff was new, the vast majority of which were new to teaching, period. While the support staff is friendly, they definitely need professional development. The three co-leaders of the school also differ widely in their responsiveness to student and parental needs/concerns, but are overall very loving, present, and knowledgeable. The children are challenged academically. This school DOES NOT remediate, so if your child is behind, do all you can during the summer to get them up to speed. Consider that most of the staff that have K-8 kids, have their kids enrolled here!

CLAS Affirmation School 0

Posted October 17, 2010
CLAS is a wonderful school and a well kept secret. It has been great for my daughter and she has excelled in all of her subjects. I found the school through a relative and have come to love the family environment and the outstanding teaching staff. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for a small nuturing environment.

Posted October 12, 2010
CLAS is a great school for all children, it excels over others.

Posted September 21, 2010
CLAS is my family. My daughter has been a student going on four years. They are supportive, helpful and great leaders. I have experience poor teaching and poor leadership before attending CLAS! CLAS believes in it takes a village to raise our kids into positive, succesful and respectful human being! I wish they could expand to high school... Got to love'em

Posted June 19, 2009
I can't say enough about how wonderful a school CLAS is. My experience over the past four or five years has been great. it's true though that CLAS, like any other school of choice, may not be the right choice for every family. My experience has been that the families who actively participate in their child's education, take the time to familiarize themselves with the school's philosophy and otherwise become a partner in the educational process are on the whole very satisfied with their experience at CLAS. Those families who more or less stand on the sidelines arrive on the scene with a critical eye and don't always come away satisfied. That is too bad because CLAS has so much to offer. Those who have given lower ratings reflect isolated incidents that shouldn't take away from the greatness of the entirety of the program.

Posted June 19, 2009

CLAS Affirmation School 2

Posted June 14, 2009
I am a parent of two kids that attend clas. I have and 4th grade child that is doing very well with his school and teacher.His learning has progress and he has learned balance and righteous -ness.I have an 7th grade child that attend the middle school campus that is not doin so good. My child is an good student and works very hard at the middle school. But recently we have had an problem between two kids with the verbal and physcial abuse. I know the problem should have been handle better then it did. The middle site is not a good site I know the teacher aid's need training and the school need structure.There is no school nurse and no bed or anything for the students to lay on.I love the concept of the school but the school structure has gone out the window!!!The middle school need improvement.

CLAS Affirmation School
4400 Coliseum Street, Los Angeles, CA  90016
Last modified CLAS Affirmation School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
CLAS Affirmation School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 49 reviews. Top